General Audio Questions

Dillz

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 2d
swoit, you thinkin 2 or just the 1???

Just the one at the moment see how the standard head unit and wiring goes, that and the soundproofless boot. One will thump pretty hard there bout 1000watts me thinks. Just deciding what amp to go with it, Preferably as small as possible so I can squeez it in where the factory amp goes.

Edited by XRTPSI

• Well-Hard Bangin' Member
  • Member For: 16y 7m 8d

yeh fair enough, if all else fails I just bolted my amp to the back of the drivers side rear seat, space saver, works well.

let me know what you do soundproofing wise in the boot, I haven't done anything apart from little sitcky foamy thingies around the number plates.

Dan

• Member For: 16y 11m 12d
hey mate, I've just finished putting mine in

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=38617

no RCA's from what I could see, but just get a low level converter and connect it to the rear speakers for you signal; piece of pi*s

Dan

Dan,

I'm looking at doing something very similar to your sub setup. By putting in a low level converter in does this mean that the back speakers have to then run off the amp or do they still run off the original wires? Don't really no that much about these little gadgets, in the past I've always gone from the head unit. Does it have any effect on the sound quality?

Cheers

Smylie

• Member For: 16y 11m 18d
Preferably as small as possible so I can squeez it in where the factory amp goes.
Sorry to high jack but I was just wondering is the factory amp just used for the sub or is it used for the speakers as well??

hey smylie, yeh I didn't know there was any other options before I got on this forum either. but yeh, sounds good to me, doesn't sound like it's missing out on any quality. I just dropped the bass on the ICC, and the subs take up the slack.

the rear speakers still run as they are originally connected, it's just the signal feed to the new amp is spliced into them.

quality wise I haven't noticed a difference, but who knows. you could spend thousands of $$ and get better gear, but if you cant notice the difference what's the point I say.

ps: the box I built is kinda small, but kicks like a mule getting branded; anyone think there'd be any benifit building a bigger box for it? mostly for the fact that I've got a new jigsaw, a gutful of piss and spare board of MDF!? ... or not at all...?

Dan

slammer, don't know the answer to that, but it has been answered somewhere in this section (sorry, rally cant be arsed finding it for ya), but search the audio threads mate, seek and ye shall find

Dan

• Member For: 16y 11m 12d

Cheers Dan, that’s all I needed to know, will be heading out tomorrow to pick one up. Will probably get in the sh*t with the wife now for spending more time with the car instead of her again. It's worth the argument.

Thanks again mate

no problems smylie, I find that the best approach is the 'I do love you more than the car, I've just found another interest, you're my number 1 girl and the car is very far second place'

... then go apologise to the car 'I'm sorry baby, you know you're my number 1 girl, I'll never love another like I love you, she could never never make me as hot as you do' :Doh:

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 16y 6m 14d

Hey guys,

Are there any DIY topics around that guide you through installing an aftermarket headunit and connecting all the stock speakers onto it? A guide to prefereably both premo and stock sound, not sure if the speakers cabling is connected the same way on both.

Also can the stock speaker wire be used when installing a new headunit and speakers?

Also other watch out don't do this or that tips, like airbags going off if I remove the door covers?

I'll go use search now, but if anyone can help, links please! :surrenderwave: