Car Computer

Adam

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 2d

I've got my car computer setup installed and working in my ute now. I'm wrapped with the results!

Everything looks stock and nothing is out of place...

P1020126.jpg

The hardware for this setup consists of...

Mac Mini for the computer.

VGA to CGA - RGB Converter to convert the Mac's video output to what's required by the Ford ICC.

CarNetix CNX-P2140 for supplying 18.5v power to the Mac Mini and 5v power to the video converter.

Visiontac VGPS-700 for receiving the GPS signal for the SatNav.

Ford AUX Audio Kit for playing the audio from the Mac through the car stereo.

Car Stereo Line Isolation Transformer to remove all traces of audio interference.

The software for this setup consists of...

Windows XP Pro SP2

Centrafuse XLE for the user interface.

XPort3 to allow the blue tooth GPS receiver to communicate properly with the Mac.

PSUmoni for monitoring the power levels, outputs and consumption. It's also used to program the startup, shutdown and hibernation/sleep settings of the CarNetix CNX-P2140 and therefore the Mac.

DivX codecs for playing AVI's etc.

CinePlayer DVD Decoder Pack for playing DVD's.

Here's a pic of the Visiontac VGPS-700 receiver. It's incredibly small...

P1020129.jpg

The main Centrafuse screen...

P1020133.jpg

Browsing the music collection by album...

P1020131.jpg

Playing an album and viewing the tracks on it...

P1020124.jpg

The SatNav screen...

P1020130.jpg

Playing a music video clip...

P1020132.jpg

Note: All of the screen shots appear a lot more "grainy" through the camera than they do in the flesh.

I have 2 switches installed. The first allows me to turn the ICC overlay on/off. The second switch is in the trigger wire for the CarNetix PSU so I can choose if I want to start the Mac up or not. This switch has a little red LED in it. LED on means the Mac is running, LED off obviously mean the Mac is off.

I must give a big thank you to Panda, ShockF6, Veczar and last but certainly not least MrBean. It was from MrBean's car computer project that I got most of the information on what components to use and why. The build log of his setup can be found here... Ford F6 Tornado Project Log

Thanks again guys! :fear (5):

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• <put funny sh*t here>
  • Member For: 17y 4m 20d

that's awesome mate. I've gone the other way and im installing an xbox into mine. I have it all working appart from the dc-dc power supply part. Im probably going to put two switches in mine also, one for the video and one for the power (exactly like you did) however your idea of the switch with the built in LED is one that I had not thought of previously, its a great idea.

Just out of curiosity where did you mount the two switches in your car?

• Lifetime Members
Just out of curiosity where did you mount the two switches in your car?

Here's where the switches are...

P1020135.jpg

They are out of the way but easily, and safely reachable while driving. Ideally I would of liked a flusher fitting switch but I was limited to these in a "nice" looking switch. It's not really a big problem given where I located them. If they were in a more obvious place I would of gone for different switches.

• <put funny sh*t here>
  • Member For: 17y 4m 20d

Cool. I just sat in my car and pretended there were switches in that spot, and yeah its a relatively hidden spot with easy very access.

How did you hook up the power to the Carnetix? Is your power switch (with the built in LED) controlling the +12V input into the Carnetix, or does it control the 'ignition' input into the Carnetix?

I'm not 100% sure how I'll end up hooking mine up. I would like there to be a 'main switch' which will completely kill the power supply and pc/xbox, yet when the switch is on then the whole thing operates as per normal with its intelligent startup/shutdown functionality based on the cars ignition status.

Thanks.

• Lifetime Members
How did you hook up the power to the Carnetix? Is your power switch (with the built in LED) controlling the +12V input into the Carnetix, or does it control the 'ignition' input into the Carnetix?

The power goes to the positive lead in the engine bay fuse box and the earth goes to the battery all via 8AWG car audio wire and a fuse. The ignition (trigger) line for the CarNetix (and the earth line for the LED switch) are taken from the mobile phone connector ACC terminals behind the interior fuse box. The LED switch therefore acts like turning the ignition on. If the switch is already on turning the key controls the CarNetix.

I'm not 100% sure how I'll end up hooking mine up. I would like there to be a 'main switch' which will completely kill the power supply and pc/xbox, yet when the switch is on then the whole thing operates as per normal with its intelligent startup/shutdown functionality based on the cars ignition status.

The CarNetix always has power and earth running straight to it. It will just sit there dormant until the trigger wire is energised. Just like a car audio amp really.

that's awsome adam, is it a pricey task?

I've had a bit of trial and error along the way, but the final cost would be close to $2k, easily more depending on what exactly you wanted. I guess it depends on how you look at it. Factory fit SatNav is very expensive just on it's own. This setup will do so much more than just SatNav though!