Installing Fpv Gauges With Ford Harness

• Member For: 16y 8m 30d

Hi All,

This is how I put my FPV Pod in my BF XR8 (Oil Pressure and Temperature). I used the harness available from Ford which made it easy as you dont have to cut anything. It took me around 6 hours and I think it would be worth using even for aftermarket instruments. I got the harness with a kit off ebay but unfortunately there was no information how to hook it up. I hope this helps you.

Cheers

Tom

FPV_Gauge_Installation_Step_by_Step.pdf

• Thanks 1

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 24d

You can do a tripod with 3 electric gauges in the same time.

Personally I think the FPV gauges are a waste. With no numbers the info is useless.

Hi Adam,

If I had a T I would really look at the tripod as you can hav Boost with your oil temp/pressure(I think pressure without temp is not as helpful in assessing engine health - the engineer in me I guess....).

I went for the FPV unit as I only wanted the oil instruments and I really wanted to use OEM equipment - just personal choice :-)

As for accuracy - I have found that they give me enough info and being VDO - the quality will be good and there is more chance that they are right than wrong IMHO.

The main thing that you should be looking for with any of these gauges is a change/or shift in indication from the norm(where they usually sit and what you are used to seeing given the way the car is being driven and the ambient conditions at the time). This will be the tell that something has changed and perhaps further investigation is warrented.

It all comes down to what you want I recon.

Cheers

Tom

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y

GREAT guide turtle, a sensational effort!

On a slightly different note, I'd be interested to know what, if any, part of the standard FPV gauge sender setup can be used with aftermarket gauges (given I've got an F6).

It sucks that as far as I can tell, you have to almost start again, even though the FPVs come with senders etc already fitted.

Anyone know?

Hi Spruce,

I would suspect that all the wireing would be OK - you may have to change the terminals to suit either the cluster or the sender(or if they are spades but in a different configuration - just de-pin the factory socket and fit the terminals independently). There are also a couple of posts that seem to indicate that the pod will accomodate aftermarket instruments with little modification.

In the harness that I fitted I noted that there is a ground wire in the harness running to the senders but it is terminated at the plug/junction under the airbox. This would be for senders that require a ground and could be hooked up by simply getting an extra AMP pin from an auto electrician and continuing the wire to the new sender.

If you were going for a tripod you could use the factory harness for oil pressure and temp whilst fitting a mechanical boost gauge. The lighting for the 3rd instrument can be simply spliced into the existing lighting supply at the pod - as could additional power and ground supply if you wanted another electronic gauge. You would just have to run an additional wite out to the sender of your choice.

Hopefully others can add to this for you.

Cheers

Tom

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y

Thanks turtle, I'm going to have to study this carefully. I've actually got three of the white/blue Ozegauge 'Autogauge' gauges that will be going into a tripod (all electric).

For power the gauges can be linked to each other, so I gather I could get away with the one power connection. Adding the extra sender for the oil temp should be ok I think, however adapting the existing oil pressure and boost senders to the aftermarket gauges might be a challenge. I think that guide of yours will be invaluable in working it out.

Edited by Spruce

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 24d

Mate, if you fitting AutoGauge gauges then it is so much simpler to just use all the supplied looms and senders.

I doubt the stock sensors would be sending compatible values to the AutoGauge gauges given their much wider operating range.

Thanks turtle, I'm going to have to study this carefully. I've actually got three of the white/blue Ozegauge 'Autogauge' gauges that will be going into a tripod (all electric).

For power the gauges can be linked to each other, so I gather I could get away with the one power connection. Adding the extra sender for the oil temp should be ok I think, however adapting the existing oil pressure and boost senders to the aftermarket gauges might be a challenge. I think that guide of yours will be invaluable in working it out.

Hi Spruce,

Great looking gauges - I think they will be really good and be very easy to read from the pictures.

If you use the existing wires for power, ground and lighting - and the sender wiring from ozegauge it should work out a treat.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers

Tom