Ba Xr6t Cuts Out Under Load

dazxr6t

• Member For: 16y 8m 20d

in my ba xr6t when using 2/3 throttle or more and when the tacho hits 4000 or so,the car goes into some sort of limp mode. the car sounds like it drops 2 or 3 cylinders and keeps going like this for about 3 or 4 seconds then the engine goes back to normal. also once it does this if I stab the throttle to the floor and release it the engine instantly goes back to normal. anybody got any ideas about what could be causing this frustrating problem because just as it's about to become fun it cuts out. the engine doesn't stall and it doesn't happen unless you give it a decent amount of throttle. it's ok up to about 2/3 throttle. thanks darren

• Like 1

• Member For: 19y 2m 16d

Darren, had similar problem late last/early this year. Started playing up, same as yours, at 4000rpm intermittently on medium to heavy throttle, then more regularly ->3500rpm, then 2500rpm. Ended up being corrosion in the connector to the knock sensor, leaning it out and going into limp mode 'til it adjusted itself. All came up as errors (with explanations) when fraud mechanic finally believed me and connected diagnostic to computer - I looked over his shoulder quite interesting. I put up with it for quite a while but problem got to the point of leaning out to the extent of stalling when under load towing boat, so not good - a quick clean of the connector and not a problem since. Hope this help at all.

Cheers Simon

thanks guys. the car is going into chip torque on friday to run it up on the dyno to see what shows up I'll definetely make sure I mention these suggestions. I'll let you know what the outcome is

thanks

darren

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 2m 17d

Could also be your valve springs, If it was plugs it was just be spluttering up top and it won't continue on for 3-4 secs

How much power you running!

only bought the car 1 week ago but assume it's standard. don't think it's valve springs because if I stab the throttle when it goes into "limp mode" and let it off again instantly it sort of resets the computer or something because the car goes back to normal. if I don't do that it takes the normal 3 to 4 seconds to reset itself so I would probably rule out something mechanical otherwise the throttle stab wouldn't make an instant difference I wouldn't think. this leads me to think that it's something electical/computer. as soon as I find out where the knock sensor is located I'll check that as a previous poster suggested because this sort of thing seems to make sense to me but please keep the suggestions coming because they are appreciated.

thanks

darren

just had the car on the dyno at chip torque. the problem was that someone has played with the actuator on the turbo. whatever they did caused the boost to spike at around 13 psi for a short period of time. the car actually had 150 rwkw at 3000 rpm with hardly any throttle. I said to the guy that's pretty crap power and he said for the amount of throttle he was using it was pretty bloody good. what chip torque did to fix it was bypass the boost control solenoid. this somehow by some computer wizardry dropped the boost back to a more ECU acceptable 7 psi. no more overboost limp mode. the car now goes straight to 6000 rpm or so. the problem with all this is that before when I got on the gas from 20 or 30 km/h it would plant you in the seat very hard and start to wheel spin. it made the car feel very quick up to around 4000 rpm but then it would cut out. now it feels soft more like I expected an xr6t to feel like when I bought it. so I'm happy that it's now running properly but disappointed that I've lost that shove in the back I used to get. at the end of the day the car has to be faster a-b but I want my wheel spinning power back. I asked about getting another actuator to make it standard again then flashing it but they said to leave it as is then they will do a custom flash tune to suit the actuator as it is and should probably get a little more horsepower than if I was to start with the standard one. thanks to those that tried to help me it was appreciated. suppose I'll just have to save for a flash tune now and see if that's enough to satisfy. if not goodbye bank balance for a little while.

thanks

darren

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member For: 16y 7m 25d

Mate I feel for ya. I had the EXACT same problem xept mine was a stuffed wastegate that allowed boost to build to 15psi then WHAM, limp mode. But boy when it was building it was like a rocketship. So, I just can't go backwards. Got a CAPA box, big cooler, injectors, and a zuast stitting in my shed waiting for a few more $$ to fund the custom tune. Hopefully, I will get that absolutley fantastic rush back!! :bangcomputer:

Edited by XR6Turbine