Na Fuel Efficiency And Km's Per Tank

INPURSUIT

• Fastest Taxi In Melbourne
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 19d

hey guys

I have a ba xr6 na manual and im getting pretty poor fuel economy

I dont drive my car hard at all and acceleration is always smooth and gears changed at 3000rpm

at the moment im averaging 15l/100kms and only getting 350kms out of a tank.

is this normal? ive taken the car to ford to get checked out and they say that everything is fine with the car but I should be getting better fuel economy than 350km per tank.

I have recently had my cat converter replaced under warranty and since that's been done the fuel efficiency has appeared to go worse.

just wanted to see what other guys with na's are getting out of their tanks and average fuel efficiency

I know this topic has been covered a number of times before but I just wanted to see how the na guys are going in regards to efficiency

cheers

anthony

• Member For: 16y 8m 14d

hi. I had exactly the same problem. I was averaging 14.6l/100km and own a BA XT auto. took it to ford and they said all tests came out fine. the following month I went for a trip down south - around 900k's in all and noticed a massive improvement. I had reset the computer figures before and after. during the trip it averaged 10.5l/100km, and now its averaging 11.6, and yes that's with the computers reset again. its about 450km+ easy per tank now. Most ppl I know say the same, so if all else fails hit the highway - I'd be very suprised if you dont notice a change. :w00t2:

• Formerly XR6NA
  • Member For: 18y 3m 28d

When I had my NA it had pretty bad fuel economy for what it was too. I was averaging around 14.9 from memory. 400km was the most I could get out of a tank.

• Member For: 20y 11m 28d

My wifes BA Fairmont was running a bit rich. I took it to ford a couple of weeks ago and they said that they reflashed and cleaned the throttle body. Certainly made a good difference. As I drive very carefully the readout is 10l/100km suburban driving whereas before with me driving could not get below 12.4l/100km. I reckon I will get another 100km per tank but yet to get thru a full tank. This was done under warranty.

I was actually very happy with Dave Hughs (service guy) at Midway Ford in Midland Perth. He knows his job and solved a few warranty problems that I had with the car. There is another guy who works there and he was useless. Goes to show, excellent and bad service from the one dealership. It depends on who serves you.

Edited by turbotrana
  • Like 1

• Fastest Taxi In Melbourne
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 19d
My wifes BA Fairmont was running a bit rich. I took it to ford a couple of weeks ago and they said that they reflashed and cleaned the throttle body. Certainly made a good difference. As I drive very carefully the readout is 10l/100km suburban driving whereas before with me driving could not get below 12.4l/100km. I reckon I will get another 100km per tank but yet to get thru a full tank. This was done under warranty.

I was actually very happy with Dave Hughs (service guy) at Midway Ford in Midland Perth. He knows his job and solved a few warranty problems that I had with the car. There is another guy who works there and he was useless. Goes to show, excellent and bad service from the one dealership. It depends on who serves you.

thanks for the reply mate

ive taken my car into ford twice already for this and they have reflashed the latest update on the first time I took it back, and the second time I took it back they found the cat converter to be not functioning properly so they placed a new cat in. since that's been done the fuel efficiency has been alot worse. still not quite sure what to do about it.

350kms from a tank is pretty bad :badabing:

• Member For: 19y 2m 14d
hey guys

I have a ba xr6 na manual and im getting pretty poor fuel economy

I dont drive my car hard at all and acceleration is always smooth and gears changed at 3000rpm

at the moment im averaging 15l/100kms and only getting 350kms out of a tank.

is this normal? ive taken the car to ford to get checked out and they say that everything is fine with the car but I should be getting better fuel economy than 350km per tank.

I have recently had my cat converter replaced under warranty and since that's been done the fuel efficiency has appeared to go worse.

just wanted to see what other guys with na's are getting out of their tanks and average fuel efficiency

I know this topic has been covered a number of times before but I just wanted to see how the na guys are going in regards to efficiency

cheers

anthony

NA Pilot, going by the avatar and the signature, the mods and the post, one forms the impression that you love your car and that you love driving it.

also

'...I dont drive my car hard at all and acceleration is always smooth and gears changed at 3000rpm...'

Exuberance with a Falcon sized mass is going to use fuel. The fact that the power plant is NA or T doesn't matter all that much.

Is this impression at all correct?

Regards,

aa

• 570Nm @1800rpm
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 7d

My BA Fairmont returns about 10.4-10.6l/100km. Trip Computer tells me 10.6 but I have checked it a few times after filling up and it is normally a tad less then 10.6

Average speed is 40km/h and I do a 60/40 highway/city split.

As a comparison, our Fiesta gets over 600km out of 40l of ULP :bowdown:

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 6d

Throw the car on the dyno and get the AFR"S checked, have you done all the basics like airfilter,fuel filter etc etc....maybe throw a new 02 sensor on it and see if that helps.

cheers

Luke

Edited by hiddeous