Mobile Phone

jordak

• Member For: 19y 9m 19d

Thanks to a leaking drink bottle the old Nokia died on the weekend as a result of taking a bath in orange cordial at the bottom of a bag. Either that or I fried the internals trying the hairdryer trick. :huh:

I need to get one today and as a result of hating the damn things I have sfa idea on what to look for.

With my work I do have the need to take a few pics so a camera with a decent pixel count would save karting a camera around. I've also been told to go with a next G phone as the coverage is better. Other than that all the other things are just gimmicks to me, although accessing the internet would be handy.

So for those of you that pride yourselves on having the state of the art mobile what should I look at.

Cheers :idunno:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 1m 14d

If you want a good Camera/Phone then the Sony has the best camera in the business as it uses the Karl Zeiss Lenses.

As for Next G, it is only any good if you are with Hel$tra. If you are with anyone else the HSPDA will work with 3G phones. Telstra are using a propiotory network that significantly limits your handset choice.

• Member For: 19y 2m 13d
Thanks to a leaking drink bottle the old Nokia died on the weekend as a result of taking a bath in orange cordial at the bottom of a bag. Either that or I fried the internals trying the hairdryer trick. :huh:

I need to get one today and as a result of hating the damn things I have sfa idea on what to look for.

With my work I do have the need to take a few pics so a camera with a decent pixel count would save karting a camera around. I've also been told to go with a next G phone as the coverage is better. Other than that all the other things are just gimmicks to me, although accessing the internet would be handy.

So for those of you that pride yourselves on having the state of the art mobile what should I look at.

Cheers :idunno:

In terms of functionality the XDA Flame (previous model Atom) is the current state of the art.

Compared to these gizmos, iPhone was already like 2 years out of date even prior to it's launch. These things do everything, audio, video, digital tank, touch screen phone, bluetooth, wifi, skype, internet, e-mail, GPRS, HP-calculator emulations (mmmmm), Mp3, MIDI, FM, camera, vid camera, Outlook sync blah blah blah (They do not yet have inbuilt GPS receiver and noise cancelling headphones.)

Beware, when they do work they are fantastic and you use them for everything... however you will not last the day on a single charge of batteries... The Flame now has a graphics card... which should make the problem of battery life even worse.

Also beware, unless you have a 3G (Flame) and a good data plan, web browsing or e-mail attachments via GPRS (Flame and Atom) is seriously expensive.... like $12 for a single document or web page, and slow. Text only e-mail however is fine.

Other bad news, we bought several of these devices at work. All required 3 trips each to the repair facility, about 12 weeks for each device before full funtionality was reached and stable. Service was ZZZZ.

regards,

aa

Edited by aiboart

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 1m 14d

I have been using a DoPod 838 pro (HTC Hermes, JasJam, etc) for a year without any problems, it has all the features of the Flame and it is tough. I run WM6, which is a great OS, and very stable.

I do not think Jordak is looking for a smart phone, more like a good phone that has a good camera.

• 12" member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 4d

Ive got a Samsung A701 with telstra and seems a good phone with everything I need just about.. decent camera, internet, NextG etc etc..

only pain in the ass is with the autospelling doesnt keep new words longer than a couple of weeks.. im forever spelling out mofo, biatch, c*ntfeatures, manbitch etc

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 1m 27d

hey mate,

I have the nokia N95.. it has 5.0 megapixel camera with Carl zeiss optics and has a brilliant zoom as well. works like a proper camera with its own buttons... more then capable of taking the pics you need (if yyou used it as a camera only no1 would know its a phone at a glance)... it has a video cam... organiser, sat nav and heaps more... a proper music player/editor, net access etc etc etc

The phone is great!!!!!!!!! a 11+ out of 10.......

And I use the 3 network which has given me a little grief of late.

Edited by jetute

• Good for nothing member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 9m 3d
hey mate,

I have the nokia N95.. it has 5.0 megapixel camera with Carl zeiss optics and has a brilliant zoom as well. works like a proper camera with its own buttons... more then capable of taking the pics you need (if yyou used it as a camera only no1 would know its a phone at a glance)... it has a video cam... organiser, sat nav and heaps more... a proper music player/editor, net access etc etc etc

The phone is great!!!!!!!!! a 11+ out of 10.......

And I use the 3 network which has given me a little grief of late.

I too have this phone and there isn't anything else I could want in a phone. If you want something for half the price I just bought a N73 it has 3.2 meg camera and cost me $450

• Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 1m 26d

Isnt one of the Nokia's out at the moment also a VOIP phone too?

I heard, once it comes in contact with your wireless network, it can switch over to VOIP?

prolly horse poo......

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 1m 27d

dont know much about this voip or even what it is really...

but most top model nokias have skype loaded in...... is this what you are talking about??

I use skype on the internet but have not even bothered to try it on the phone