Edit Mythbusters Updated

markxr6t

• All round good guy!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 19d

I know I'll get shouted down, but I can't see the point in running around getting the flash box unlocked or even buying a second hand one. I bought mine with the tune and as far as I'm cioncerned it stays with the car, whether I sell it, keep it, or give it to simsmetal. If I get another T I'll get another flash boz. I'm not made of money just cant be bothered throwing good money away spednding effor for little return.

Just my opinion.

• Member For: 14y 9m 7d

For the people that don't want to go to the expense of getting a flash box why don't you get a tuner to tune your car using sniper or HP tuners whatever. There are tuning options out there that do not require you to buy a flash box and lets face it. most people dont switch between tunes once they mod the car, I mean you cant change the tune round if you have changed alot of hardware (injectors, turbo etc) as the right tune for the car is the right tune.

The only obvious benefit is to have a flash box is the ability to have a "valet mode" where the tuner simply lowers the rev limit to 3000 rpm or something to stop other people from flogging your car.

I could be wrong but from what I can see for most normal punters that don't do any work on their own cars and wont be messing with teh tune a flash box is a bit of a waste of money.

CHeers

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 13y 2m 27d

If I buy a second hand unit for cheap that has been unlocked, will the generic 8/10psi tunes suit both manual and auto or were they for one or the other when the current owner bought it? He had an auto and I have a manual.

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 4d

I use the extra 2 slots for 95 tune (car does long trips to east double bubble f*ck now and then) as well as valet should I have to leave it with someone I don't trust. Haven't had to use valet yet thankfully, but have used 95 tune.

• 3 months later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 12d

Can you use an X3 ford flasher from america over here on an aussie car or have they blocked that as well?

EDIT: looked and found the answer, NO

Edited by knoles

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 18d

At what point after plugging the box into the car, will it reveal if its locked/unlocked, for both the XCAL 2 & 3?

I'm trying to sell an XCAL 2 I have & would like to be able to assure people its going to work. Powers up, can navigate through menu's etc.

I've never used it on my car though, bought it with a package, and I already have an X3.

Also, I believe with the X2's there's something that a tuner can unlock without it having to be sent off?

Thanks,

Dave

post-44039-0-40681000-1313964621_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 11m 10d

So who do you send a Xcal 3 to now to have it unlocked? and does anyone know how much they charge? Does it go back to the states or herrods?

Edited by spine

• 6 months later...
  • Member For: 12y 7m 19d

This post is to help anyone who can't find the answer to the question above. After searching myself when looking at buying a used SCT Xcal3, the information on the net was varied and confusing, so here's what I found from personal experience:

I spoke to Herrods and they will no longer unlock flash boxes. Their response over the phone: 'Although we do have the ability to unlock them, we are choosing not to do it anymore, so that there is no chance of a situation happening like the previous one with CAPA'. Fair enough I say.

Therefore, if you buy a used Xcal3 that hasn't been unlocked (is still vin locked to the old car because it wasnt returned to the standard tune)........you must send it to SCT in the USA to have it unlocked. The fee is US$150, which includes the return postage. You MUST RING SCT (they wont do it over email) to get a return authorisation number and give them your details and the serial number of your Xcal3. Then post it off to the USA (about $25 from memory) and it will come back in a couple of weeks, unlocked and with the lastest firware update. They say over the phone that their turnaround time is usually about 5-7 working days, so add a few days postage each way and there's your time frame.

• 6 months later...