Flushing Radiator - How Much Coolant Will I Need?

Falchoon

• I see red
  • Member For: 21y 4m 2d
have a gander at this

Mmmmmm...thanks - different answer to what I was given by local Ford dealer, if experience is anything to go by your answer is more accurate Meggs_83. Ford guy told me 5lt, your doc says 12.5lt, wonder if that is just coolant or total combined cooling system liquid ie water and coolant.

Might have to get a 3rd opinion. :tease:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 4d
Mmmmmm...thanks - different answer to what I was given by local Ford dealer, if experience is anything to go by your answer is more accurate Meggs_83. Ford guy told me 5lt, your doc says 12.5lt, wonder if that is just coolant or total combined cooling system liquid ie water and coolant.

Might have to get a 3rd opinion. :roflmbo:

Hi Falchoon

5 lts will be only the coolant concentrate additive plus water.

best thing to do is check you owners manual dude

Pete

Edited by LUMO

• <put funny sh*t here>
  • Member For: 17y 5m 10d

Hey mate. I recently flushed my coolant and used the recommended R1-33 coolant. Bought it in a 5 litre concentrate bottle from Coventrys (around $50 from memory).

On the back it says you can add 33% or 50% depending on what properties you want it to have (different boiling points....etc), so I listened to a mates advice and basically used close to 50% ratio of coolant to distilled water.

It took about 4 litres of coolant to roughly the same amount of distilled water for me to get a 50/50 mix and get it up to the MAX mark on the overflow bottle. A bit more water was required once it opened up the thermostat and the water started flowing (make sure you crank the heater on too so it flows through there too)

I hope that helps you.

• Member For: 18y 4m 6d
I want to flush the cooling system of my auto BA XR6T, how much coolant will I need?

It all depends on the glycol concentrate of the coolant

33% is the standard mix ratio and 50% for extreme conditions

HTH

• Member For: 16y 11m 24d
I want to flush the cooling system of my auto BA XR6T, how much coolant will I need?

Changed my Coolant 2 weeks ago. Drained the system / radiator in to a container and got 7.4 litres out of it. The rest will not drain out.

Got NULON LONG LIVE Concentrate and put 3 & 3/4 Litres in . The rest was Distilled Water from Woolworth or Coles.

I now got a 50/50 mix.