Rebuilding Zf's

CSV_LS1

• Tractor Driver
  • Member For: 18y 2m 13d
WHat so the T6's don't come on boost till after 25oorpm, I didn't think they had that much lag in them.

It'd work well in a Blown Boss though.

They do have boost lower than that, but I reckon the trans software tells the PCM to bleed the boost if the output shaft is stationary.

• Member For: 18y 4m 11d

Some ZF info:

Ford Falcon ZF 6HP26 Transmission Preliminary Information:

· 6 Forward Gears, 1 Reverse

· 2 version – standard version with a torque capacity of 450 Nm, and high performance version with a torque capacity of 650 Nm

· The performance version features upgraded clutch packs with additional frictions to cope with the increased torque

· 5 clutch Packs, no Bands are used, for all 6 Forward & 1 Reverse gear – this delivers a more direct & refined shift quality

· Lock- Up clutch available in all forward gears to aid fuel economy

Electronics:

· Electronically controlled by a Bosch EM19 control module

· The internal Transmission Control Module (Mechatronic) is integrated in the transmission valve body, submerged in oil

· Caution! An anti-static wrist strap must be worn when working with the valve body or the transmission control module. Component damage can occur if a correctly grounded wrist strap is not used

· 6 Adaptive Shift Modes – Economy, Performance, Sports, Uphill, Downhill, Towing

· 12 Sensors assisting Transmission function: Turbine speed, Output Shaft Speed, Throttle Position, Electronic Speed, Brake Pedal, Engine Torque, Engine oil Temp, Engine Water Temp, Transmission Fluid Temp, PRND, ABS, Mode Switch

· Note! The Turbine Shaft Speed, Output Shaft Speed, PRND & TFT sensors are located on the Mechatronics unit inside the transmission

· Kickdown Switch – an Accelerator Pedal Detent is integrated in the Accelerator Pedal mechanism provides feed back when accessing the kickdown switch

Gear Set:

· Based on the Lepelletier Gear Set – constructed by connecting a single planetary to Ravigneaux (double planetary) gear set

Oil:

· Oil Specifications; Synthetic Oil Only – Motospecs Part # 749626, Ford RI-28, Shell ATF M 1375.4, Mercon SP XT-6-QSP

· Oil fluid is clear in colour, not Red

· 4.7L Service Fill

· 9.0L Total Fill

· Cooler Flow – 2.4L per minute at Idle

Oil Cooling:

· New remote oil cooler (heat exchanger) is fitted to all 6 Cyl Falcons & Territory models – mounted on the engine block with a three-way coolant thermostat

· Heat exchanger has a dual function of using engine coolant to provide rapid warm up of the transmission during start-up as well as improving cooling under high loads & or high temperature operations

Oil Level Checking:

· Scan tool required

· 1) Set scan tool to read engine speed & transmission oil temperature

· 2) Start engine

· 3) Select gears in order of; R, D, S-2, D, R, P (leave in each gear for 3 seconds)

· 4) Idle speed should be between 650 & 950 rpm

· 5) Transmission temperature should be between 30-35 deg C

· 6) Remove filler plug – located on drivers side rear of the transmission

· 7) Oil should drip out of plug hole if oil level is correct

Transmission R&R:

Driveshaft, Output Shaft, Slip Yoke & Companion Flange must be marked before removing the transmission from vehicle. When refitting the transmission, the mentioned components must be aligned with their witness marks otherwise driveline vibration will occur.

Also intresting to note that both the ZF for the I6 & Boss engine share a near identical bell housing and bolt pattern, the only difference is where/how the starter is located.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member For: 18y 3m 26d

hi guys put 2500 stallie in my zf auto with 390rwkws and it made no difference but one thing 4 sure is it needs an edit for the gear changes are to slow to keep up with the on come of power .Auto now gos back into 3rd when it is floored in sports mode 4th and also will not change up from 3rd to 4th when at full noise is this my auto calling it a day. hope not! :has anyone else got this problem yet

• Tractor Driver
  • Member For: 18y 2m 13d

I'd guess that the computer in the ZF is reading an unexpected variance in the input shaft speed compared to the output shaft speed and trying tro compensate for it.

• F6+300+
  • Member For: 19y 5m 15d

Or the ABS is detecting too much wheel spin due to front wheel rpm and rear wheel rpm and holding out the 3rd gear shift.

I’ve experienced this many times until I put some decent tires on or run with MT’s at which time it shifts perfectly.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 29d

Seeing that makes me love it even more - awesome bit of metal that sucker is.

Thanks for posting the pics up Gramps :sleepystuff:

• Like 2