Rebuilding Zf's

CSV_LS1

• Member For: 18y 4m 13d

Mauz like others have mentioned give Dave at Kewish a call, he is modifing the valve bodys which improves the shifts and the clamping force of the clutch packs

He has also fitted a higher stall converter in them, but restricted to only 2500 rpm any more than that trans sensors slip and goes into limp mode

I will be getting him to do mine soon

The cooler won’t help you one bit apart from keeping the oil cool on low HP vehicles.

You don’t need to have hot oil to Snap the input shaft. Just lots of HP. So to me unless you do track work, the original cooler is fine. neither will save your input shaft.

Bigger aftermarket cooler will keep trans temps down saving the oil from burning resulting in less oil changes also stops internal seals from going hard.....huge benefit to the trans as alot of the zfs are overheating and glazing the clutch packs

• F6+300+
  • Member For: 19y 5m 17d

Here are some pics of some ZF parts out a F6’s that I’ve had the pleasure of rebuilding for a mate. I don’t do it for a living and have only helped mates.

Notice the bar-code on the input shaft and how twisted it is? They usually snap about ½ way through where the bar-code is.

This one is snapped and sat back together to show the twist.

Image033.jpg

This one is just twisted but not snapped.

Image032.jpg

This is the new heat treated input shaft.

Image034.jpg

These Discs are typical worn discs but they are cheap.

Image035.jpg

Jim I might do mine with you as Dave may do us a deal. Is Dave doing a complete package with all improvements or is it 'ain't broke don't upgrade it'?

Will talk to Dave see what he can do for us coming from sydney

Will do the valve body and trans cooler for sure dont know about the converter as we still wont be able to spool up boost due to trans module cannot be edited yet

Thanks for the pics mate

Is the new input shafts now all heat treated or is someone doing them aftermarket?

The frictions look very poxy.......unfortunately there is no heavy aftermarket ones available

• F6+300+
  • Member For: 19y 5m 17d
Thanks for the pics mate

Is the new input shafts now all heat treated or is someone doing them aftermarket?

The frictions look very poxy.......unfortunately there is no heavy aftermarket ones available

ZF only sell the heat treated ones now but don’t openly admit the old one was a problem ahhahahah.

The discs wear is no big deal and a lot is contributed to the tuner and a undersize transmission filter.

Each clutch pack has its own modulation valve so you can play with each one individually to engage at different velocity, pressure and disengagement velocity but at the expense of input and intermediate shafts.

I’m hoping these new shafts do the trick and then we can wind the rest up until the next part in the food chain breaks.

:crybaby:

• Tractor Driver
  • Member For: 18y 2m 15d

I think there is more actual information in this thread than there has been in all the other ZF related threads previously :welcome2: Keep sharing fellas!