Edit Problems

Guest Boony_1981

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 22d
Hi Guys, I have just received my new flash tuner with some tunes. So I went and loaded the 8psi tune and the car seems to have no boost. So I put the car back to factory and still no boost. The car was dyno'd to have 210rwkw before I put in any tunes.

Here are a few questions from a newbie, I hope someone can help me out.

1. Does it normally take about 1-2 mintues to flash the car?

2. After the flash is finished, is the power light supposed to flash while a solid led lit with the tune you just loaded?

3. After the flash is loaded, does it take some time (1 hour or so) for the computer to learn all these new settings and produce 240+rwkw or is it instantanous?

I had a similar problem, I never put my car on the dyno before I flashed mine (which I should have done), I just had the generic 10psi tune and went for a dyno run, flashing the car that morning on the dyno it made 167rwkw on 10psi, then 162rwkw on 8psi and back up to 165rwkw on stock tune. With the boost guage saying that it was pretty much on the money for all boost levels for each tune. And driving the car showed that the boost seem to come on late.

At that stage I was working as a mechanic for ford. So come monday I went to work and checked all the hoses for incorrect fitment or splits and holes as well as intake and exhaust manifold bolts (which I had done the day before the dyno run and all ok. Hooked up the PDS (diagnostic tool) and it was throwing a wastegate fault code, I cant remember the exact one. Which I thought was strange as I thought if it was a wastegate issue it would either boost off its eyeballs it wastedgate was stuck closed or not boost at all or very little if open. so I checked the wastegate plumbing and the control solenoid, all tested ok, used a mitevac to test the pressure required to be applied to the diapragm to open the wastegate, and again all ok. So I cleared the code from the PCM and took the car for a drive, and the all of a sudden I had my old car back.

I suspected that the wastegate solenoid was being commanded by the pcm so open too early and causing the wastegate to open early as well and hence take too long to boost, but still be closed enough generate boost in higher rpm and load to register correctly on the guage, although I haven't had much time to tinker with faulty turbo's and control systems as being a ford dealership I never go to see many highly midified xr turbos. I rang chris romano as for some advice and he seems to think I downloaded the tune incorrectly and had caused the vehicle to log the fault code. But Ive flashed it backwards and forwards previously with no problem.

Ive run a self test since then with the 10psi tune still in and no fault code present and the car still goes as it should. Now if anyone knows more about the flashing process let me know, but I know when you reflash a ba-bf with the pds uploading the regular software updates that ford releases, after each reprogram, it clears all DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes), so I wonder if the tune boxs carry out the same procedure, but if this was the case then the fault code would have been erased when I flashed it to another tune on the dyno, assuming that the condition that caused the fault in the first place wasn't still present, but like is said there wasn't anythig wrong.

I know that when flashing sometimes you can get corrupted data although the design of the CAN BUS network is suppose to reduce that. So If anyone else has any ideas as to wtf happened please let me know. I plan to make the six hour road trip down to the dyno day at elite automotive next month so I will suss out paul then about the issue and about a tune after the injectors, springs, pump and hopefully a process west cooler and plenum kit.

cheers

Mic

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
Not sure about P codes being cleared as my car is not logging any, but reflashing does not clear U codes when reflashed

U codes are generally CAN related anyway which mean nothing 99% of the time and if they are relevant then you usaually have big big issues. The code wasnt a hard fault code but after I cleared it then tested using PID data monitoring the wastegate was operating perfectly, well the data logger in the pds showed the control solenoid was operating correctly and the mechanical aspect of the actuator seemed to be operating as the car was spooling up and regulating boost fine. Like I said keep the ideas coming, but Im itching to discuss the matter with paul at elite next month when Im down.

cheers

• Hench, but no longer shredded or tanned.
  • Member For: 17y 1d

well that's odd, hope you can get it sorted mate.

I put a 10psi tune into my car for the first time, 10mins later after giving it some I blew the intake off and lost boost and everything lol (was the intake going to the IC) shes ok now though :roflmbo:

• Member For: 17y 10m 1d
U codes are generally CAN related anyway which mean nothing 99% of the time and if they are relevant then you usaually have big big issues. The code wasnt a hard fault code but after I cleared it then tested using PID data monitoring the wastegate was operating perfectly, well the data logger in the pds showed the control solenoid was operating correctly and the mechanical aspect of the actuator seemed to be operating as the car was spooling up and regulating boost fine. Like I said keep the ideas coming, but Im itching to discuss the matter with paul at elite next month when Im down.

cheers

I have seen 2 U codes come relating to engine RPM and Vehicle speed being out of range and figure that these codes, if not cleared ,may be a give away to a dealer that the car has been flashed

• Donating Members
I have seen 2 U codes come relating to engine RPM and Vehicle speed being out of range and figure that these codes, if not cleared ,may be a give away to a dealer that the car has been flashed

Nah, fords attitude is pretty much like I said, the u codes are pretty well dismissed on most occasions, but the code that causes alarm bells to rings for a dealer is a P2105. And its not logged 100% of the time, from my experience in having a play at work is caused by the actual flash tuning process, but once the code is cleared after the flash is didn't return.

Another way they can tell is due to the calibration level of the vehicle, if ford goes to update you vehicle to the latest software calibration and sees that the filename is old if the technician makes the correlation between the current level in the car and what level the car should have, assuming the vehicle has been updated regularly, but this can be confirmed by accurate service keeping records indication when a pcm upgrade was carried out and exactly what calibration it was. But usually most of this is over looked as it was largely at the dealership I used to work for, unless you had to take the vehicle for a teat drive and notice how hard the vehicle went or if you were complaining of a powertrain concern, those two elements usually sends you looking for modified cars.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 17y 1m 6d

Bad news everyone! 2 weeks after getting my new PCM fitted by ford I am back to where I was before.....no boost, even feels like the car is choking when suppose to hit boost. The car was working quite well after the new computer got put it, it even did 217rwkw stock. So here I am 2 weeks later and I haven't even got my flash tuner back from CAPA yet (it was getting cleared due to the new PCM in the car) and the car is running like a dog. Time to go back to ford tomorrow and get up 'em.

And to top it all off, whilst my car was at ford the front and rear bumpers have some really big scratches that they now have to fix up as well.

God I love ford service!

• Member For: 18y 1m 16d

Sorry to hear that mate. Best of luck getting it sorted. As for Ford Service, I have vowed never again unless it's for a warranty issue. Useless Pr*cks most of them.

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 17y 1m 6d

Good news everyone! I finally have the car back and with a 10psi custom edit!!! Very happy with the results too, power went from 217rwkw stock to 259rwkw. I'm even getting wheel spin in 1st and 2nd when the turbo kicks in! This is great, I highly recommend a custom tune to everyone :beerchug: