Opinions On Manual Ba 5spd Xr6t

lab

• Member For: 17y 2m 13d

Im currently trying to sell my R33 skyline (still for sale if anyone is interested) so I can get in to an XR6T which will suit my work better and still give me some plesure to drive.

at the moment due to price I am looking for a 5spd manual BA.

and was just wondering what all the 5spd BA owners think of this car? only thing im concerned abotu it the gear box really ?

thanx

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 27d

I have a 12/03 and I have had a few niggling things, and some major problems, all at stock power..

these include diff, 5th and 2nd gear syncros, clucky driveline (worse I've seen), steering shudder and clunks, squeaky lhs front suspension, broken indicator stalk (headlights wouldn't work wtf?) and other minor fit and finish problems..

the later model you can get into the better, because they apparently make little changes when things go wrong along the way..

you will find many others with no problems so it can just be luck of the draw..

other things to look out for are brake shudder if the car doesn't have premo's and rust in the boot can be a problem..

best of luck!

Edited by XR06T

• Colossal Member
  • Member For: 19y 7m 26d

I have a 12/03 with 5sp and after getting the gearbox replaced I havent had any more problems with it. Problem is, if it's still on the original running gear it will be out of warranty so if it breaks you will be up for a new gearbox. I'm sure you can get hold of one from a wrecker for a few grand, but weigh up the difference and try and get a Mk2 with 6sp. You will be much happier.

Having said that I am still happy with my gearbox, I'm pushing 270rwkw and it's still like new... not noisy or anything. sh*t where's that wood.... :spoton:

• Member For: 18y 9m 30d

yeah I'm pushing 300rwkw and touch wood, all is good so far. never had a problem with it, but I don't drive hard.

Biggest question is whether or not you plan to mod the car. Any ecu mods alone will have potential to destroy the box.. so if you plan to mod, either budget in 6-8 grand for a 6sp conversion, or go ahead and buy a MKII.

Personally, I'd buy a MKII first up.. A XR6T 5sp manual will still probably set you back 23k... perhaps more.. considering u can pick up BFs for 37k now, I'm pretty sure you'll find a MKII somewhere in the middle of that figure. Even if you pay 28-32k for a low km MKII, you'll still be ahead if or when the time came to convert the T5 to a T56.

If you don't plan on mods (which I strongly doubt once you hop into it) then the 5sp will be ok. I'm not sure on your financial situation, but personally I'd be stretching the budget and getting a MKII. Even if it means you need to finance a little more, I'd be doing that.

• Member For: 17y 11m 17d

Ive got an 04 5 speed and im converting it to a 4 speed auto. My box is fine never had a problem with it at 260rwkw. But im getting rig of it as I plan to bump the power up to 300rwkw and further from there.

Going the auto purley for easy driving and 1/4 mile times

• Just because it is, doesn't mean it should be.....
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 19y 7m 7d

The Phantom ..

June 04..

He has been the best Beast :welcome2:

no diff, gear box issues etc

slight problem with rears wearing out .. :blush:

only mod.. more DOOF :spoton:

stock 203.8 rwkw..

shazzy