Upgrading Ba Brakes To Bf

XR6T4ME

• Member For: 20y 8m 2d

As the topic states I am seriously looking at upgrading my BA brakes to the larger BF front and rears with twin spot calipers. But as the BF front rotors are smaller than the BA Premiums (322mm x 28mm Vs 325mm x 32mm) am I better to go with a PBR / Premium front package with DBA slotted as per the current group buy and get the larger rear BF twin spot & vented/slotted DBA discs?

I have read up on a lot of posts and it has been suggested one cause of the brake shudder in the BAs is the thickness of the front rotor being only 28mm (same as BF) and not being able to handle the build up of heat.

So am I going backwards choosing a BF front package with 322x28mm rotor or should I go to a Premium / PBR front instead 325x32mm with a BF rear kit?

Your help is much appreciated.

Edited by XR6T4ME

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 20d
So am I going backwards choosing a BF front package with 322x28mm rotor or should I go to a Premium / PBR front instead 325x32mm with a BF rear kit?

As Jeff said, of course the Premo front brakes will be better. But, in answer to your original question, no, you won't be going backwards by fitting the BF front brakes to a stock BA brake setup - it's just that the Premos will be a better option for the front!

How much do you wanna spend? 'Cos a Brembo setup is better again, then there's AP, Alcon, etc, etc...

• Member For: 20y 8m 2d

Thanks for the feedback.

Always about price - Bang for your buck. Budget will not allow Brembos/ AP/ Alcons.

Plan A - 2nd hand set of BF XR6/XR8 front calipers for $110ea and a set of 28mm DBA slotted for $170approx. But thinner than Premium BA rotors :spoton::nod:

Plan B - Premium / PBR calipers for the front @ $350ea and 32mm DBA slotted rotors for $170 approx

Together with a BF rear setup / DBA slotted Plan B is the way I will go.

Cheers

• Member For: 19y 5m 9d

the BF rear calipers are only single piston, and not sure you may be up for new rims with the premo brakes as there is a 20.3mm difference in the original height of the whole rotor, the premo being thinner

• Member For: 19y 30d

Can I have your old Premo brakes then since they are no better?

edit:bugger - just re-read your post. Can you buy me some premiums?

Edited by cobrav8