Window Switch Led Installation Guide

ORSMBA

• ORSM Ford Cruisers!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 27d

Ok here is the guide to upgrade your non illuminated switches to illuminated.

Whats needed.

Soldering Iron.

Solder.

Size #3 Solder-Wick

PLCC-2 or SMD 1206 LED's(14 for sedan or 6 for Ute/2 Window)

SMD 1206 Resistors(10 for Sedan or 4 For Ute/2 Window)

Screwdriver.

Lift the switches out of the door by simply lift from the bottom of the switch using a small flat blade screwdriver refer to switch_lift.JPG.

Once the switches are out, use a small flat bladed screwdriver to open the switch refer to switch_open.JPG. Once the switch comes apart , the actual switch mechanisms will fall out. Don't worry , just dont lose any.

For a 4 window switch refer to Multi_Sedan_Install..JPG, which shows the location of leds and resistors required. Depending on what LED you use will determine the resistor value, The XR Ble that I sell should use 380ohms where as most 1206 smd leds should have a value of 470ohms. If you are buying your own led's make sure you get the makers specs and refer to them to get the correct resistor value. The extra pin can be made out of Size #3 solder-wick(from Altronics or similar), by simply applying solder to the wick until it is solid. Cutting it to the appropriate size and inserting it from the back , then through the circuit board. Its quite fiddly but it can be done.

For a 2 Window switch refer to Ute_Multi_Install.jpg, which shows the location of the upgrade board, leds and resistors. Use the same figures as the 4 way switch for resistor values etc.

The single switches are pretty much the same for 4 window or 2 window version except you need to install an extra pin for a 4 window version. Use Size #3 solder-wick again, seperate the circuit board from the plastic bottom and bend the new pin to suit the others, solder it in place. Refer to Single_Sedan_Install..JPG.

The 2 window version needs a link installed as per Single_Ute_Install..JPG but no extra pin is required.

You can test the illumination before you put everything back together by plugging into your loom.

Once tested reinstall all the switch mechanisms, Install the top cover of the switches,(try to keep the part you press centralised as you are installing as it makes it easier to get it right the first time).

Re install into vehicle and test all windows and illumination.

They should look something like 4Way_Illuminated.jpg and Single_Illuminated.jpg.

I hope this guide helps.

More to follow.

Matt

post-6646-1161992574_thumb.jpg

post-6646-1161992670_thumb.jpg

post-6646-1161993009_thumb.jpg

post-6646-1161993156_thumb.jpg

post-6646-1161993557_thumb.jpg

post-6646-1161993599_thumb.jpg

post-6646-1161994057_thumb.jpg

post-6646-1161994067_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • ORSM Ford Cruisers!
  • Donating Members

Just to let you all know, I am currently out of XR Blue LEDs. But I have sourced some that may work which I should receive in a week or 2. I'll let you all know.

Matt

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member For: 21y 3m 3d

I added a red led for the rear cut off switch. The positive side of the LED goes to the pivot mount for the cut off switch (see photo). Use a standard 430 ohm resistor on the other leg and connect to the "new pin" pad. I used a Jaycar surface mount red LED "Gull Wing" style 70 mcd. Part No. ZD-2000. Mount the LED just off centre so the switch doesn't cover it.

Cheers,

Scott

post-284-1177241681_thumb.jpg

post-284-1177241703_thumb.jpg

post-284-1177241714_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • <put funny sh*t here>
  • Member For: 17y 4m 19d

Nice guide! Cheers for that.

Just curious if you can achieve similar results from painting the underside of the switches blue with light globe paint for example?

• T.P.I.S.
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 25d
I bought 50 SMD 1206 blue LED's from here. Used 430 ohm SMD 1206 resistors from Altronics.

Worked a treat. You can buy the blue SMD led's in lots of 50, 100 or more.

Top Bright LED

Cheers,

Scott

Are these the ones you bought

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=R8089

• ORSM Ford Cruisers!
  • Donating Members

XF Falcon, Ive been told by painting the top of the White LED's using blue glass paint works, still I would think the colour would be a little off. I wouldnt be painting the underside of the switch though.

As for XR Blue LED's, You struggle finding these at any reasonable price unless you are willing to purchase 3000+. That is why I have run out, I have to wait until someone orders these and then I buy a few extra. You can buy similar to XR blue from Farnells I think, but they are like $5-10 each or some silly amount like that.

Hope that helps.

Matt

• Colossal Member
  • Member For: 19y 7m 3d

Yeah I dont understand that hey, for some reason everywhere just stopped stocking the blue SMDs... used to be able to get heaps at Jaycar. Maybe an overseas supplier? How much for 3000? :blush: