Avo Upgrade

bcl

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 30d

People,

I just noticed that AVO has updated it's web site. Please refer to http://210.15.220.239/html/ford.html for information.

This release coincides with the the release of the APS kit, and like APS, AVO also advocate a piggy-back system. IMHO Ford are crazy (almost stupid) for giving us injectors with little upgrade capacity. My bet is that most people will end up leaving their cars almost stock standard, because the upgrade cost will not be cheap when you are looking at injectors, fuel pump, ecu and exhaust changes (and possibly intercooler).

Brian

• The Noble Leader
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 6m 11d

I read about that the other day... One of the guys from AVO emailed me about the kit... It looks good.. Still holding out for Herrod's Kit though.. :)

Guest Mr Walker
  • Guests

Think about who's stupid bcl - it's not Ford!

"My bet is that most people will end up leaving their cars almost stock standard"

- do you reckon that this might be exactly what they want to happen?

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members

Mr Walker,

Your reply is offensive!

Most manufacturers leave a good margin for mods, whereas Ford do not appear to have done so.

The last thing Ford needs is motors being destroyed due to a lack of fuel capacity.

• The Noble Leader
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 6m 11d
The last thing Ford needs is motors being destroyed due to a lack of fuel capacity.

Out of curiosity what would that matter to Ford? if they have designed and set specifications for a vehicle to a set of standards. Speaking to may Ford Engineers and people in the industry, they feel that Ford were very stringent in the design, and adhered to what they wanted it to be like.

I think the leanness in the design and the no room for mods may well be a marketing strategy by Ford. As if you want more.. it will cost you more.. I think this is as well why their warranty policy is much more enforced then it was before.. hopefully to cut costs..

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members

You may recall that Subaru copped a lot of bad publicity with their 99 model STi, after a few engines self destructed, resulting in warranty claims.

Some of these cases were where the cars were raced on the track.

The next years model came with a higher capacity fuel pump and less aggressive timing, and the problem went away.

The situation would have been avoided by having a greater margin from error in the first place.

Along the way Subaru also upped the injector size from 380 to 440 cc (from memory), allowing more tolerance.

I'd bet Ford will add more capacity in future models.

brian

• Big Gun
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 13d

Ford(and many other car companies) make LOTS of money out of genuine spare parts!

Guest Mr Walker
  • Guests

bcl,

I understand your point re: Subaru and I remember this happening but I stand by my comments. The difference with Ford is that as Chris said, they are being extremely strict with their warranty policy and have spelled this out from the start. Subaru let a culture exist that was pro modification - and it was probably a smart one for them because they have sold plenty of cars!

Ford on the other hand are saying "this car is a great package - come and buy it as it is". I'm sure they know the potential of this car, but if it was easy to modify then their problems would not only be warranty issues but also a marketing nightmare.

How many XR8, Pursuit, GT & GTP owners would be totally pissed off if they were blown into the weeds by some guy in an XR6T who spent $80 on a bleed valve and some other bits to up the boost and modified the exhaust?

If you don't believe me have a look at this and other forums such as F*kuF*r*#s (couldn't resist) and see how devastated and defensive people were when Street Machine dyno'd both the XR8 & XR6T and found they were EQUAL KwATW with more usable torque from the T.

So imagine if you could EASILY increase the power - there would be an uproar of which Ford don't need any more of after their fiasco with the 220kw Tickford vehicles vs AUIII XR8. The V8 brigade already think the XR6T has too much power.

Hell, I'm going to modify mine and I wish it was easy to do so but I can understand why it isn't.

Sorry if I'm ranting but it's quite clear what's going on and Ford know it. Sorry also if I offended with my earlier post - it was a bit 'off the cuff'.