Missing At High Revs

KTASTRPHE

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 1d
7 hours ago, Jacobcurtis said:

Hey guys, my car misses just like this, only under boost and just blow a crap tone of black smoke out the back like the waste gate is just dumping all the built pressure when it spoils, done coils and plugs, going to do fuel filter, replaced turbo with direct replacement. How do I shorten the spark plug gap?

Sorry to tell you buddy, but u got a wonky rod or 2.

Your car is driving relatively ok on light throttle below 3000rpm I bet? 

Then if u go to push the throttle it starts to jerk and spludder with the smoke pooring out the zorst?? Back firing?

A spool imports set of rods is a cheap option and gives u forged rods, or get hold of a wrecker for a second hand fg block.

What power are you running? Stock? Modded?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

You're looking at it backwards man. 

A bent rod or two won't do bugger all to how a car drives but how a car drives can bend a rod or two.

• Like 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 28d

However a hole in the block may affect how a car drives!

Those symptoms could be a ton of things so I wouldn't open up the motor just yet.

Just to ask the obvious question - did you use good quality coils? Mine was missing and backfiring under load above about 3000 just after I bought it. Mechanic chucked in cheapie coils and made no difference. I chucked in decent ones and problem fixed.

• Like 1

Jacobcurtis really needs to give alot more info before anyone can narrow it down.

Who knows what mods he's done.

Whether he's done new valve springs.

What model vehicle he is driving.

What type of colis were used when replaced.

Could be many things causing his problem, but without the facts it's just a lot of guess work.

• Member For: 6y 11m 18d

Hey guys sorry for late reply been working on the car. 

Ok it’s an 05 ba xr6t 6 speed manual.

- coils replaced about 2000kms a go, not with genuine coils just cheap ones as I needed a quick fix at the time.

-plugs a week ago with Ngk iridiums

-standard internals/ valve springs, cams

-been tuned to 10psi on 98 making only 360rwhp and 800nm torque 

-growler intake box

-60lb injectors

-high flow cat with twin 2.5 system

-replaced turbo with a direct replacement with same actuator setting, built by grant at pro boost in Sydney.

-I recently replaced intake mani gasket, exhaust mani gasket and whole rocker cover gasket kit. All rubbers and hose clams have been replaced.

1st gear doesn’t mis fire or anything, 2nd gear around 4500-5000rpm it starts to mis but doesn’t  blow smoke and 3rd and 4th get to about 3500-4000rpm and it misses like crazy usually blowing out a lot of black smoke (un burnt fuel) Every time I come to a stop at the lights or intersection the idle either drops to about 300rpm or it just stalls. Doesn’t stall often though usually just keeps running, but it shutters when it does this. 

Coils that were used before I replaced them were Voss coils I think and I just bought cheap one from matcher auto parts on eBay.

Edited by Jacobcurtis