Fog Lights/ Driving Lights

Guest cul08r

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Colossal Member
  • Member For: 19y 7m 4d

Well if there is fog you can have them on. If the cop says there's no fog just light up the tyres and your all set..... "now there's fog, officer"

But yes the XR foglights are just as illegal as any other fog light or secondary driving lamp unless the conditions suit. Stupid rule as everyone knows, the fog lights point at the ground nowhere near as far up as the driving lights point. Not much that u can do about it though :spoton:

• Member For: 17y 8m 27d

yeh its gay, mate got done, but his lights were not standard they were added after be bought it.. had spot for them but well I dont really remember was in a VS SS, but yeh I didn't get fined just told to turn em off, which I did for the night

• Member For: 17y 8m 27d

Personally I use fog lights only when it’s raining or really cloudy and of course at night, why would you have your fogs on when it’s sunny?

But back to your question. I don’t see the reason why it would be illegal to have them on whether its foggy or not.

Almost all cars that come out of the factory with fog lights people use them in all driving conditions or better say they have them on nonstop.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 27d
Personally I use fog lights only when it’s raining or really cloudy and of course at night, why would you have your fogs on when it’s sunny?

But back to your question. I don’t see the reason why it would be illegal to have them on whether its foggy or not.

Almost all cars that come out of the factory with fog lights people use them in all driving conditions or better say they have them on nonstop.

The fog lights if adjusted correctly do very little to help as would a real driving light. Should book everyone who has them on just because they come with the car.

In all states it's illegal to drive with the rear RED fog light on. A lot af European cars, and bloody Hyundia's have a rear red light which come on and the drivers are ignorant to this fact. It's annoying if you are behind them.

I think all those people who replace the 1/2 globes that are standard from Ford also deserve to be fined also.

• Member For: 18y 3m 23d

Yeah mate, that was me who was on the other thread saying I got pulled over in my VY SS for having them on (Prob coz im young), but no fine was ever mentioned, he just told me to turn em off. I have since then proceded to ask every road cop I see when I have been pulled over for rbt etc. And they have told me that "I dont really need them on in the city, but for Highway driving, I would leave them on". One im particular officer also said that some police were more on to it than others, but everywhere you look people have them on. Mazdas, fords, audis, holdens etc. I also believe that they arent fog lights and im pretty sure even the fpv manual also says that are 'driving lights'. Can anyone gove me the law for us here in SA? A link or something.

Im not a one to drive with them on always, but I do always have them on during H/way driving (which I do quite alot of travelling to my shack every 2nd 3rd wk), and in the rain. I mean, there is really no need for them apart to draw attention to yourself on a nice sunny day.. Anways, yeah any help would be appreciated. I think that this is one of them unknown rules like with TV screens in the rear..

Edited by bangm001

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 4m 10d
...bloody Hyundia's have a rear red light which come on and the drivers are ignorant to this fact.  It's annoying if you are behind them.
Heh. I've seen a couple of Excel's around where people have taken to the rear-bar mounted foggie with a hammer. Best solution IMHO.

I was once driving behind one in my first car (an XF which had those copper spotties fitted to the front bar and on an isolation switch & relay from the high beams:blush:) Mr Excel driver didn't enjoy copping over 600W in his rear vision mirror. We exchanged some words at the next set of lights where he first told me it was illegal to drive with my high beams on. He didn't like being told that it was also illegal to drive with his rear fog light on during a perfectly clear night. Did he turn it off? No.

• Team Kickass
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 1d

This one has been done to death, they are illeagal every who has them on would be fined if I had my way. ( They do blind other drivers, how do I know this? Because I can't see a damned thing when they are pointed in my direction.). This is my personal hate. BTW fog lights do not cut through the fog, sandstorm or rain, they only illuminate the white lines painted on the roads edge ( ie the fog lines ).