Fog Lights/ Driving Lights

Guest cul08r

Guest cul08r
  • Guests

OK, there have been a few ppl ask when they can use their driving/fog lights mounted from the factory on an XR series car.

As far as the law states in NSW, the fog/driving lights on a vehicle (such as a new XR, SS or WRX) must not be used except in inclement wether. This means fog, rain and snow, but does not include night driving. They must not be used during a fine clear day or night.

For a light to be legally described as a driving light ( I think in all Aust) it must not be able to be activated on anything other than high beam. This excludes the standard lights from being driving lights, unless rewired. They must also have a seperate switch which can deactivate them.

For any more info, go to your local state authority or in NSW www.rta.nsw.gov.au

Andrew

Edited by Dagabond

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 7d

Ex-Rexer> Just one point mate, driving lights do NOT have to have a separate switch to control them. As long as they are wired so that they can only come on with High Beam they are OK.

PS "inclement weather" is NOT the term used in the Act.

viz. from the ACT - "Fog lights may ONLY be used during fog, rain, snow or other atmospheric conditions which restrict visibility"

• I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 29d

Actually, for NSW:

ROAD TRANSPORT (SAFETY AND TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT) (ROAD RULES) REGULATION 1999 - SECT 55

55 Lights on motor vehicles generally (cf MTR, r 95 (6))

A person must not cause or permit:

(a) any fog light affixed to a motor vehicle on a road to be lighted except in fog, mist or under other atmospheric conditions that restrict visibility

Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units. _

52 Interpretation

In this Division:

fog light means a light used to improve the illumination of the road in case of fog, snowfall, heavy rain or a dust storm.

headlight means a headlight of the kind referred to in the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 1998.

period of darkness means:

(a) any time between the hours of sunset and sunrise, or

(B) any other time when there is insufficient daylight to render a person dressed in dark clothing discernible at a distance of 100m. _

53 Lights required when driving in dark (cf MTR, r 95 (1))

(1) A person must not drive a motor vehicle on a road during a period of darkness unless the lights required by Schedule 4 to the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 1998 to be fitted to the vehicle are alight.

Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.

Source: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/con...rtatmrr1999607/

Legislation for all other states can also be found on this site.

• The Bionic Man - half man-half titanium
  • Member For: 21y 8d

Wow ! There's $74.00 worth of fear in this post LOL

Really, the bloody things are annoying because of the glare they throw off back towards oncoming traffic and the ONLY way they benefit the driver is a wide beam spread which is great in mountainous or twisting terrain.

There is still a TIN for "lights cause Glare" and this relates to lights which are improperly adjusted or inappropriately used which cause glare to oncoming traffic.

I don;t know why Ford Australia bothered with the fog lights because driving lights (as per the original GT etc) would be a MUCH better proposition.

In all the cars I have owned with factory fogs (WRX, SSS Pulsar, Mercedes, Alfa Romeo etc) I've never used them. Fog lights and RICE......both the same.

Guest cul08r
  • Guests

Ummm, Aniken, do you have a problem with what I originally posted? I just wasn't as technical. You've said nearly the same stuff. And in NSW, I have been fined and warned for using my factory lights on my WRX before on a clear night, so it appears that does't count as an inclement condition.

later

Andrew

• Member For: 20y 11m 12d

In South Australia and maybe the rest of Australia fog lights are determined buy having a yellow colored lens

On one of the talk back radio stations over here they were talking to the police about this issue.

It has got something to do with a law that states that you can not use a colored light that is facing forward unless there is fog and the main headlights have to be turned off.

Maybe this is why Ford may of went to a clear lens to make then fog lights if needed and also can be use as wide spread beam driving lights.

It is not illegal to use auxiliary forward facing lights with the other lights on low beam unless they are colored or dazzling to other drivers.

This is properly why they defect cars with those STUPID little blue lights on the front.

It is the same if you have fitted lights to your vehicle and you hadn’t wired then up yet, you can get defected for them not working. (Crazy hey:- something to do with all lights fitted to a vehicle have to be in good working order)

• I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 29d

No No No No No ... No problem at all :) I actually would not have bothered posting if Turbo6man hadn't posted, and he was just clearing up the 'inclement weather' issue - its a term you used, but is not in the regulations. When it comes to the law, "nearly the same" for a layman is a "loophole" for a lawyer or copper, isn't that right Plonky :D ???

• I see red
  • Member For: 21y 4m 1d

IMO the high beam on BA XRs is awesome so no need for "driving lights". I find the low beam to be a bit average, better with the foggies on but I don't want to be a ricer and drive around with them on when there's no fog.

• Firm Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 16d

l was under the impression that fog lights were yellow too :ph34r:

What makes the lights Ford fit fog lights not driving lights, is it distance above ground height or something else??