Ba Mkii Manual Gearbox

Mist

• Member For: 17y 9m 4d

I have test driven a couple of ex-demo manual typhoons (both BA-II) and both of them have very audible transmission/gearbox noise when the engine is put under load at low revs (eg 1500-1700rpm) in say 4th gear. Sort of a growling/graunching which is quite a bit louder than the engine/road noise.

Anyone else found that? Is it a normal feature or can something be done about it?

I know the cars are designed to be driven at 2000+rpm but occasionally I might want to just cruise around at low revs instead of burning rubber... :kissmy:

• Member For: 18y 4m 14d

Hey,

look, they arnt the most refined drive train in a vehicle, and if you do a search on this forum, you will find lots of interesting points on peoples thoughts on driveline issues in the F6's. It does occasionally drone when in the wrong gear (like if in 5th at under 60K's), (4th at prob around 30-35 K's) but other than that, it is quite good. Due to the 3.73 diff gears, it revs fairly high in comparison to other vehicles I have driven and owned, in particular my old VYSS, but a good thing about this is that 5th and 6th gears are actually quite usable, and overtaking in even 6th gear on the h/way possible.. There also seems to be a slight 'clunk' in mine,especially when idling at low speeds in forst, but only a few of us are burdened with. Its nothing really major and by driving smoother, you dont hear anything.

Cheers!

Fair enough... I'm not sure if it would annoy me longterm or not. Rattles and so on really irritate me and I think the gearbox "drone" would be the same. The cars I drove it was happening at revs where it really shouldn't IMO (ie up to 1700-1800RPM).

Anyone else had this problem and find it frustrating or no big deal?

• Team Grandpa
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 11m 20d
I know the cars are designed to be driven at 2000+rpm but occasionally I might want to just cruise around at low revs instead of burning rubber...  :spoton:

Mate save your pain an get a demo BF 6 speed auto, best of both worlds. :spoton:

• Member For: 18y 9m 30d

I putt my car around but still don't change under 2000rpm.. usually shift between 2200-2500rpm.. I am getting good fuel economy of around 12.5L/100km. I find that the car uses more fuel when shifting under 2000rpm as the car is under more load trying to haul its ass. Partial throttle application up to 2200rpm or further gets me good fuel economy, and also allows me to plant the foot and have very quick response if needed :spoton:

• Formerly XR6NA
  • Member For: 18y 4m 20d
I putt my car around but still don't change under 2000rpm.. usually shift between 2200-2500rpm.. I am getting good fuel economy of around 12.5L/100km. I find that the car uses more fuel when shifting under 2000rpm as the car is under more load trying to haul its ass. Partial throttle application up to 2200rpm or further gets me good fuel economy, and also allows me to plant the foot and have very quick response if needed  :spoton:

I do similar except when the engine is cold I try to keep the revs down a bit until it is up to operating temp. Then I usually change gears around 2500 to 3000 rpm.

• Mal Wood Automotive
  • Member For: 21y 1m 2d
I putt my car around but still don't change under 2000rpm.. usually shift between 2200-2500rpm.. I am getting good fuel economy of around 12.5L/100km. I find that the car uses more fuel when shifting under 2000rpm as the car is under more load trying to haul its ass. Partial throttle application up to 2200rpm or further gets me good fuel economy, and also allows me to plant the foot and have very quick response if needed  :blink:

You are spot on, the worst thing that you can do is labour these cars around in high gears at low speed. We have people call us and say that the transmission has a rumble in it and when we ask further the response is mostly this...... the car has a noise at 50 to 70 kph mainly in 5th gear!!!!!!!!!!!! I tell everybody not to use 5th or 6th under 100kph, these two gears are overdrive gears and should not be used at low speed. You get the best economy when the car you drive is doing it easy not lugging around in high gears at low speeds. Mal

• Member For: 17y 11m 23d

my tornado is a mark 2 and it does have this problem but usally only in first and secondgear under about 1700rpm other than that it is fine and isn't really that annoying.

• Member For: 21y 6m 9d
I putt my car around but still don't change under 2000rpm.. usually shift between 2200-2500rpm.. I am getting good fuel economy of around 12.5L/100km. I find that the car uses more fuel when shifting under 2000rpm as the car is under more load trying to haul its ass. Partial throttle application up to 2200rpm or further gets me good fuel economy, and also allows me to plant the foot and have very quick response if needed  :stirthepot:

You are spot on, the worst thing that you can do is labour these cars around in high gears at low speed. We have people call us and say that the transmission has a rumble in it and when we ask further the response is mostly this...... the car has a noise at 50 to 70 kph mainly in 5th gear!!!!!!!!!!!! I tell everybody not to use 5th or 6th under 100kph, these two gears are overdrive gears and should not be used at low speed. You get the best economy when the car you drive is doing it easy not lugging around in high gears at low speeds. Mal

Funny that, I started using 5th at about 65, and 6th at about 85 and saw a 2l/100km fuel consumption IMPROVEMENT.... go figure...

Funny that, I started using 5th at about 65, and 6th at about 85 and saw a 2l/100km fuel consumption IMPROVEMENT.... go figure...

That is actually what I would expect. Most cars are most efficient at low revs. The base engine for the Typhoon is presumably the same as the standard Falcon which is still a 190ish KW engine... it shouldn't NEED the turbo fired up to move the car! :crybaby:

Do you get the gearbox noise I was talking about at these speeds? Or is your manual quiet even at low revs?

Edited by Mist