• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 13d

and I had

V6QnlM5.jpg

• Expert
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 24d

:wow2: home made............

I brought some S&P squid a few weeks ago try to get the kids to eat something different and BAM!! loved it now which has got me thinking. Dinner for tomorrow is................. ^^^^

• 2 weeks later...
  • Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 7m 7d

Hey panda....

Question :)

I gotta make this for the weekend for a combined three peoples birthday party

null_zps3f63ff57.jpg

I got my black fondant white fondant circle cutters the glue stuff (sugar whatever it's called)

My infant smoother, cutter, blah blah

I think I'm all set but I got one question...

I am making Mississippi mud cake for the cake (the bakels mix) as I'm lucky enough to have a good bloke who gave me a 15kg bag :)

Should I use chocolate gnash to ice it before the fondant?

Or chocolate buttercream?

Which is easier ...?

Or better?

I mean for me buttercream I would have thought would be easier to work with... Am I crazy?

Last time I used gnash it's just messy when your trying to use white fondant...

Am I nuts..

I have gotten a lot more practice icing etc since I used gnash for the cake last time... Should I try that it butter cream is fine???

Thanks ya legend :)

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 19d

Personally I think its a crime to put buttercream on mud cake.. But to me difficulty wise they are same same.

Bakels mix is actually pretty nice stuff just maybe bump your oil up a smidge and add in a dash of chocolate paste if you have it. It's also very easy to over mix and that'll give you a tough cake.. Keep your mixing times to the lower end of what's recommended and bear in mind that a decent household mixer is a lot more efficient than a large scale bakery mixer.

If you use ganache, whip it like we discussed earlier, pallet it onto the cake, refrigerate just long enough to make the ganache set, then remove it and heat your pallet knife with boiling water, dry it off and smooth the cake as best as you can (keep cleaning, heating drying your knife).. Then stick it back in the fridge for say 30 minutes (depending on side of cake). After that you're set to cover it with your white stuff.. If the ganache is cold it won't make a mess very easily..

But whether you use butter cream or ganache, the smoother the surface is prior to fondant or plastic icing etc, the easier and less smoothing required after..

If there is substantial pitting in the cake surface you can also bog that with small amounts of fondant prior to the ganache/buttercream coating..