Whats On The Menu

phantomchic

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 3d

Cheese is salty - especially once the water is fried out of it.

Didn't need salt.

Was exactly like the best bits of a toasted cheese sango - without the sango

Sango?? is that the word/spelling??

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 15d

Figure this is as good a thread as any for this, given the top is food and cooking. My housemate moved out (and in with his gf) and we were using his kitchen things...so now I need to buy kitchen stuff. Not looking to go tooooo crazy at this point, but here's a list of things I feel I should attend to next week and would like suggestions/discussion on:

• Knives - I need a good set of kitchen knives
  • Sandwich press/grill - the ex had a good sandwich press (flat plates - which I liked) that was hot enough to cook chicken schnitzels etc on as well as sandwiches
  • Air fryer - housemate had one of these and was great for slicing up some sweet potato and getting sweet potato wedges with minimum effort...and not too unhealthy
  • Versatile spices/mixes/condiments - again, not something I've ever really delved into myself - so looking to learn

That'll probably do for now I think. I've got a couple of frying pans and basic utensils. Any particular utensils that make life easier that you couldn't live without that you'd suggest?

Also, today's lunch is rather unexciting (like every day this week -diet)...salad.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

A george foreman can do toasted sangers as well as sausages, steak, chicken breast etc.

Garlic powder, onion powder and chicken salt along with table salt and a pepper grinder are staples in my house.

Get a pizza cutter and don't be a tight arse with your can opener cos the cheap ones don't work real good except to open beer bottles.

@Rab

Here is my fat bastard "whatever the fark it is". Half a large onion, half a red capsicum, 200g ham, 50g or so grated cheese, lotsa mushrooms, 4 cloves garlic, 8 large eggs. Cooked per instruction lol.

YFuYOtT.jpg

h5pHVDA.jpg

• Like 1

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 15d

I've had a foreman grill in the past, but don't tend to like as much how it does sangers compared to a flat grill.

Ah yeah, have most on that list bar the garlic and onion powders.

Have a pizza cutter (came with my pizza stone) - homemade pizza is one thing I'm actually not too bad at these days. I buy the bases from Bakers Delight - they're delicious! Ah, can opener...that's a point!

What's peoples thoughts on knives? Do you go with cheap ones and replace them every few years, or pony up for a decent set that last a bunch longer?

Dear god that's a lot of food man!

Edited by .Stripes.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
1 minute ago, .Stripes. said:

homemade pizza

I use Lebanese bread for pizza.

I bought this knife sharpener and it brought our old sh*tty knives back to life. 

4 minutes ago, .Stripes. said:

Dear god that's a lot of food man!

That was my first meal of the day and I probably wont eat a lot more lol. I'll probably just have some fruit and home made yoghurt for dinner. Speaking of which, we make our own yoghurt with this stuff. It takes 5 minutes to prepare and is ready after 8 hours in the maker and however long it takes for your fridge to cool it down.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
1 hour ago, Puffwagon said:

Here is my fat bastard "whatever the fark it is". Half a large onion, half a red capsicum, 200g ham, 50g or so grated cheese, lotsa mushrooms, 4 cloves garlic, 8 large eggs. Cooked per instruction lol.

Instructions said 3 eggs lol

How was it? Looks tasty

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
1 hour ago, .Stripes. said:

What's peoples thoughts on knives? Do you go with cheap ones and replace them every few years, or pony up for a decent set that last a bunch longer?

Have got a decent set of Furi knives and a few speciality ones

Get a mobile sharpener to come occasionally to come occasionally to give them a go over.

That said - these can easily take care of 99% of the kitchen duties - most useful knife ever - sharp as anything and cheap

http://www.kitchenwarehouse.com.au/Victorinox-Black-Steak-Knife-11cm

• Like 1