Dba 4000 Rotors

Cro

• Member For: 21y 5m 22d

the calipers slide ... hence being floating .. if the surface they slide on gets dusty then they won't move back properly leaving a tiny bit of the pad in occasional contact with the rotor.

If I am wrong then I would like to hear a better explanation :)

Guest dbasteve
  • Guests
As some of you know I got DBA 4000 slotted rotors at the front, and Bendix Ultimate pads all round.

What can I say? These are the best damn brakes I've used.

Going down hill through some very very twisty roads, on the brakes all the time, giving them a very hard time on purpose to see how good they go, awesome!! Stop first go every time with MINIMAL fade.

At the bottom of the moutain, I had smoke comming off the front rotors or pads (don't know which ones), and all the heat indicators were white (isn't the orange one meant to turn yellow?)

And they still stopped!!

I can't believe they took the beating I gave them, but they took it with ease and still had plenty to go.

Just two question for DBASteve.

What is the max temp you guys have tested the rotors to?

What happens after you hit the max temp?

Here is a temperature comparison of standard rotor iron to the 4000 series at Symons plains. Same car, same driver, same pads, same track, same speed.

4000 Chart PDF

I've run these on the Dyno (Late model camira setup) and the caliper has turned to jelly before the rotors made it above 700 deg.

When grey iron exceeds 630 deg C the material tends to deteriorate fairly quickly by generating internal stress. Also the metal expands and yeilds which does not allow it to return to it original shape. As the metal yeilds you will see surface cracking appear which will eventually crack right through if you continue to use them in that manner over a long period of time.

that's why the red paint is there to let you know that if you exceed this temperature that the metal has gone beyond it's intended operating range and the life of the product will be affected. We've pushed these rotors much harder than this but you need to be aware of what happens to these components above normal driving conditions.

Watch the Bathurst 24hr this weekend and see what the 4000's can handle. I'm going up in the morning.

Guest dbasteve
  • Guests

Ooops!

Green turns white 458 C

Orange turns yellow 550 C

Red turns white 630 C

If you like driving that hard try some Ferodo's next time.

Brake squeal ........ the $60 mil question.

It all relates to weight reduction of modern day vehicles. Make the chasis and suspension lighter so we can have electric windows, Cd players, Air con, and all that crap that sells cars....... :censored:

Guest dbasteve
  • Guests

2003 is the 4000 spec rotor. Sorry these are my own charts which lack a few detailed descriptions.

Bathurst: Car #60 Subaru WRX

Car #77 Nissan 350Z

There are others Nissan, BMW, VX comedydore, ect but not working with us.

Can I have some more photos like your avatar ?????????? :)

Damn the brakes!

My heart stopped beating when I snapped that shot.

One good reason to go to Indy.

If you email me I can send a couple to you.

• 2 years later...
  • Member For: 20y 3m 26d

hello, I have BAmk1 stock brakes on my xr6t, gonna upgrade to dba 4000's and rb74 pads. I have been reading thru old threads and I read about people getting dba 4000's for $130 ??. the cheapest I can find is 175.

where do you guys get the dba 4000's from ??

cheers,

andrew