What Upgraded Intercooler For The F6?

bdazla

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 9m 23d

I was wondering what intercooler you have upgraded to in your f6. I'm looking at upgrading my F6 to 300rwkw and I am concerned about the charge air temperature getting too high.

I have so far looked at the APS, Monza, Nizpro and Rajab Racing intercoolers.

Just looking for your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks guys and gals

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 24d

I don't think you'll need it for 300rwkw's.

The APS cooler appears to be a good piece of gear and guys that have them are happy with their results, and it's about as big as you can fit in there.

• loitering with intent
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 8m
I don't think you'll need it for 300rwkw's.

The APS cooler appears to be a good piece of gear and guys that have them are happy with their results, and it's about as big as you can fit in there.

As Adam said if 300 rwkw is the target the std F6 cooler seems to be sufficient.

Though if regular track day are your go a bigger IC will probably be on the cards.

Some of the guys running big power have used Rajab , APS , Nizpro etc coolers to name a few.Will let them comment further :spoton:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 15d

F6 intercooler is capable of over 300rwkw on the dyno, but is prone to heat soak. Testing I've done with a few now show a rapid increase in manifold charge temp - something a good aftermarket unit will not be prone to.

For example, I've seen one increase 40 degrees F in charge temp from start to finish of a run, mine (ASE Tube and Fin intercooler) increased by around 15 deg F.

It sustains hi-power applications much better than the stock F6/XR6T units.

Edited by M6 XR6T

• loitering with intent
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 8m
F6 intercooler is capable of over 300rwkw on the dyno, but is prone to heat soak. Testing I've done with a few now show a rapid increase in manifold charge temp - something a good aftermarket unit will not be prone to.

For example, I've seen one increase 40 degrees F in charge temp from start to finish of a run, mine (ASE Tube and Fin intercooler) increased by around 15 deg F.

Just to quantify ... you are talking F degrees = a poofteenth in performance ATW.

eg 9.444degrees C inlet temp for well over $500 clams for a new IC ..... Pfffftt and that is an inlet temp conversion based on stated figures.Money well spent :tease: Maybe if you are chasing serious power, otherwise keep your hard earned coin IMHO for more cost effective mods :crybaby:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 15d

Just to quantify ... you are talking F degrees = a poofteenth in performance ATW.

eg 9.444degrees C inlet temp for well over $500 clams for a new IC ..... Pfffftt and that is an inlet temp conversion based on stated figures.Money well spent :msm: Maybe if you are chasing serious power, otherwise keep your hard earned coin IMHO for more cost effective mods :censored:

*has a look at the stock BA F6 calibration*

I've done plenty of testing with the F6 cars and the different between a 100 deg F charge temp to 140 deg F charge temp causes a timing reduction of -3 to -5 degrees spark from the timing map at peak load. Lower load levels the timing drop is up to 10 degrees of spark from the timing map. At peak load, or after a couple of dyno runs that equates to 20-30rwkw loss on cars making close to 300rwkw. More than a poofteenth for some.

People spend good money to gain 20-30rwkw -why let it go to waste with the stock cooler?

Each to their own I guess.

Edited by M6 XR6T