Stock Power Outputs

Romulus

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 25d

I've noticed lately a lot of base power figures from cars that been tuned are quite healthy. For example, I've seen a few F6 manual and auto's making 220-225rwkw, and XR6T's making around 210rwkw.

Now, having seen quite a few LS1 C4B Commodores with 300kw @ the flywheel making 220-225rwkw, and the LS2 297kw HSV's also making 220-225rwkw, I question the actual power output of the Ford turbos.

Doing a quick calculation, my 209rwkw car in stock trim (600kms on odo) makes 280rwhp. Calculated back to flywheel that corresponds to about 270-280kw. Likewise the F6's are probably making closer to 300kw at the flywheel.

I wonder whether Ford are deliberately dumbing down the power figures of these cars, or are doing the power rating based on 95 ron fuel. 98 ron fuel definately allows more power be made, and perhaps there is where the extra power is coming from.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 21d

Interesting facts M6 and I have been asking the same questions lately. In fact I was going to PM you regarding your stock figures as I only managed 189rwkw's. My 1st XR6T engine was definately making more power and I could noticably feel the difference. My figure was taken using 95ron.

Guest newl
  • Guests

Another set of numbers for you to play with. My stock F6 (6spd manual) dynoed 290rwhp (216rwkw) yesterday. Now, assuming the engine is truely making 270fwkw, that's a loss through the driveline of 54kw. Though based upon your stated numbers above, it would probably be close.

• Iconoclast
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 6m 2d

My F6 made 237 rwkw's stock

I know of an F6 that made 245 rwkw stock (auto)

I reckon they loose around 60 plus or minus up to 10 rwkw through drivetrain

I think people like craig (geaa) that rely more on 1/4 mile times than dyno's are probably gauging more accurately times than the dyno sheets.

As an engineer, I know, You cannot invent strenght and you cannot invent power. You either have it or you dont. It cannot be reinvented.

In a very controlled environment it is not hard to calculate mathematically, but several passes will provide the data to do the calculations.

• Member For: 18y 9m 9d

there does seem to be a lot of variation. I'd say average is around the 190rwkw... my car did 192rwkw. It would also be interesting to see what stock power figures people make when they had problems with edit etc... eg, people whose cars wouldn't make boost, and pinged etc... if there was a trend that showed stock cars with lower power <180rwkw = problems with trying to tune, then perhaps instead of taking the car for a test drive before buying we could all take them for a dyno test :pooh: save the heartache for tuners and owners!! I know I wouldn't buy a T if it only pumped out 160rwkw stock with 5psi!

In saying that, I suppose there are so many variables to consider!! Might be interesting to get a poll going or something, see what the average really is... if the sample group was big enough you could probably even do a statistical analysis on it! See if lower stock figures is correlated to lower figures after tuning... you would guess so, but perhaps not!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 25d
Interesting facts M6 and I have been asking the same questions lately. In fact I was going to PM you regarding your stock figures as I only managed 189rwkw's. My 1st XR6T engine was definately making more power and I could noticably feel the difference. My figure was taken using 95ron.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would be interesting to see what power it makes on 98 ron fuel.

Edited by M6 XR6T

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 21d

I used to use only 98 ron but now I switch between. I had straight 95 for the dyno as I new most would be using 98 and just wanted to experiment.

Im not sure if there would be much difference in power between 95 & 98 ron (on a std tune) as I did a 14.3 with 95ron and an extra ~80kgs in the boot. With 98 ron I did a 14.2 with just spare tyre in the boot.

Cheers.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 7m

My car only made 164.9rwkw when I had it on dyno to get custom tune.There was a problem with the electronic boost controller and it peaked at 4psi at 80kmh and by 130 it was down to around 2.5psi.

I wonder if the other low figures have a similar problem..