So What Voids The Warranty?

twr7cx

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 2d
I can`t see why changing the valve springs would void warranty so long as done by a qualified mechanic.These valvesprings to not increase the power of the motor only the reliability therefore should have no effect on warranty.

please explain?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because your putting non-genuine parts in your engine.

Ford warranty only covers Ford parts and workmanship.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 8d
I can`t see why changing the valve springs would void warranty so long as done by a qualified mechanic.These valvesprings to not increase the power of the motor only the reliability therefore should have no effect on warranty.

please explain?

However you can go to any mechanic and they can fit geniune ford parts without voiding your warranty so you put the Ford GT springs in.Even though I doubt if you took it to court ford would have to prove it was an inferior product.

• Member For: 19y 27d

please explain?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

However you can go to any mechanic and they can fit geniune ford parts without voiding your warranty so you put the Ford GT springs in.Even though I doubt if you took it to court ford would have to prove it was an inferior product.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No they wouldn't they'd simply say we only warrant Ford workmanship. Anything outside of that and they do not have to warrant.

They can also say things along the line of "This engine was not designed to have GT springs in it, it was designed to have XR6T springs in it" and Ford will be able to get out of warranty as your putting in parts that the engine was "not designed for" They can basically void your warranty if you use any part that are not on their recommended parts list for that make and model.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 8d

please explain?

No they wouldn't they'd simply say we only warrant Ford workmanship. Anything outside of that and they do not have to warrant.

They can also say things along the line of "This engine was not designed to have GT springs in it, it was designed to have XR6T springs in it" and Ford will be able to get out of warranty as your putting in parts that the engine was "not designed for" They can basically void your warranty if you use any part that are not on their recommended parts list for that make and model.

Aha but precedent has been set by other ford dealers that have infact this.Are they then voiding the customers warranty?

• Member For: 19y 27d

please explain?

Aha but precedent has been set by other ford dealers that have infact this.Are they then voiding the customers warranty?

If push comes to shove with FOMOCO then I'd say yes. Because FOMOCO are the holders of the warranty, not the dealer (unless there is still dealer warranty on the car)

FOMOCO can go back and say "did we authorise this mod?" and unless you got something in writing from Fords head office the answer would be no. That would mean that at best your warranty would have turned into a dealer warranty, and of course worst case your dealer says no warranty for you.

In terms of setting a precedent Dealer A doesn't care what Dealer B has said after a sale has been made and you have taken delivery of the car... So Dealer B can say we'll honour your warranty even if FOMOCO doesn't and Dealer A will tell you to get stuffed...

The long and short of it is any work is done on your car (out side normal servicing and warranty work) get something in writing from at least the dealer (if not FOMOCO) stating that your warranty will still be valid... Whilst writing ain't bullet proof (Hidden catches can always arise) it will certainly give you more of a leg to stand on if they knock back warranty later on...

Also you'll probably find a specific dealer can not make guarantee’s on a FOMOCO warranty, as such anything written by them could probably still be gotten out of by FOMOCO themselves at a later date, I expect Ford would say something along the lines of it’s because they are a franchise of us and not an actual employee of FOMOCO, therefore we did not authorise them to make such guarantee’s (They are probably only allowed to warrant on behalf of FOMOCO to a specific point, outside of that all decisions but go through FOMOCO).

• 1 year later...
  • Member For: 16y 4m 2d

Sorry for raising the dead here guys, but I have bumped into this issue so many times whilst searching through these forums.

I dont understand why there is so much uncertainty as to what modifications may void your warranty. Doesn't Ford give the new buyer some sort of documentation which outlines how the warranty works?

Guest newl
  • Guests

As is always said around here, you play, you pay. That being said, however, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that if you have mods done to your car and your locking actuator in your drivers side door goes belly up that the dealership should honor the warranty and fix it. I've always been up front with my servicing dealer and have never had any issues with warranty claims. I'm sure that this question will come up in another 6 months. :)