Motor's Oz Performance Car Showdown

Phoon Hoon

• Powered by Ford's 3.7 V6 = Zoom Zoom Zoom!
  • Member For: 19y 5m 19d
the t's are unstoppable.

they are the best cars on the market by a long shot.

I am so happy I drive one.

I am excited!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not quite true, as both the XR6T's stopped dead going up the mountain, apparently they boiled the fuel to a vapor. :spit:

But good to hear the XR6T auto had the highest speed at the 400m mark :blink:

Clarke

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 18y 6m 1d
I wonder what an STI 06 or an EVO does it around the same track?

Im waiting for a F6, EVO, STi write-up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think as much as the phoon is a fantastic car its not quite engineered as well as an EVO or STi. These cars have been around for ages and have had numerous revisions where as the phoon is pretty much still a virgin.

just my thoughts :laughing:

• Colossal Member
  • Member For: 19y 7m 25d

The problem with putting out that much power is reliability. I think FoMoCo is scared the things will fall apart if they bring them out from the factory with much more power. The Phoon with no doubt can handle 300+ kw but considering the problems they are having with stock power levels and longevity I dont forsee too many power increases from the factory... just small increments (like the outstanding +5kw for the BF T)

And I dont think it would be a good idea bringing out a 2 door falcon. It begs the question why? Apart from novelty what are the benefits of ford bringing out a big engined coupe? I think there's a pretty good reason why GM have discontinued the Monaro.

• Member For: 21y 15d
The 6 speed auto is great, as too is traction control for the utes and various other niceties (DSC) but with what they have created initially with the BA to now BF, why are they still insisting on only giving the bare minimum in engine output every time a new series or version is released.

No FPV has DSC. When I asked David Flint why he said it was for cost reasons.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 4m 29d

Just finished reading the article and what a fantastic result for Ford and FPV the only thing taking the gloss of it is the last and second last results for the GT and XR8.

In the wright up for the XR6T manual they made the comment about the chassis being able to handle more kw's and that for 5 bucks you get 10 which is what most people have in mind when they pick up the keys anyway.

Any ideas what mod they are talikng about that for 5 bucks gives you 10 Kw's?

• Member For: 18y 11m 22d
As for the DTS having far superior lap times, the article puts this largely down to tyres/brakes.

Great tyres (R spec) do make a big difference one of the reasons the DTS is ahead (also look at the M3 CSL compared to the regular M3 most of the time can be bought back with the handling kit and good tyres, look at the STi’s tyres too).

My 5 year old 1.8 litre Honda Integra Type R with slightly stuffed shocks and springs, 102 throbbing axle-twisting KW at the wheels (stock except for Bridgestone RE55’s, good brake pads, braided brake lines and fluid) and without Warren Luff driving it has done 1:44.14 around there. It has also done 1:43.7 on "slower" Bridgestone RE540S with a gun driver.

Edited by 2001 ITR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 18y 11m 22d

In 2003 the XR6T did 1:46.28 and the Subaru WRX STi did 1:43.75. In 2005 the STi (on better RE070 tyres) did 1:41.47 and the Mistsubishi Evo 8 did 1:40.88.

Wait until later in the year when the Japs (incl Evo 9 and the 2.5 litre STi) have their shootout and the end of the year when all of the winners line up together.

As I've said elsewhere my 1.8 Integra Type R has done 1:43.7 around Winton on R Spec tyres and is capable of quicker times. Nissan 350Zs on R spec tyres are in the 1:40's so I don't think that the times from the Holdens and Fords are that great. Fortunately the tests include a road section which lets other cars than the track stars get back in the running.

Edited by 2001 ITR

• Site protagonist
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 7d

In 2003 the XR6T did 1:46.28 and the Subaru WRX STi did 1:43.75. In 2005 the STi (on better RE070 tyres) did 1:41.47 and the Mistsubishi Evo 8 did 1:40.88.

Wait until later in the year when the Japs (incl Evo 9 and the 2.5 litre STi) have their shootout and the end of the year when all of the winners line up together.

As I've said elsewhere my 1.8 Integra Type R has done 1:43.7 around Winton on R Spec tyres and is capable of quicker times. Nissan 350Zs on R spec tyres are in the 1:40's so I don't think that the times from the Holdens and Fords are that great. Fortunately the tests include a road section which lets other cars than the track stars get back in the running.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What your convieniently ignoring is the difference a good set of tyres makes. Put some good R spec tyres on both the Holdens and Fords and they'd all be alot quicker.

Geea. :spoton: