Sign in to follow this  
Disgruntled Goat

Premium Brakes

im told that premium brakes are no longer an option, as the new standard ones are "premium". I called the local dealer who didnt know anything about this but did check his price list and could not find premium brakes - indicating this may be true.

can anyone confirm?

thanks

Don't quote me, but I thought that they had upgraded the brakes on the BF T by throwing on the thicker rotors from the Territory. Not sure if they are a bigger diameter or not. And no idea about the calipers or pads used.

Surely premium brakes would still be an option? But I think that they are now the Brembos (unsure of specs).

I do have a link bookmarked with heaps of tech data on the BF, but it's on my home computer :spoton:

I beleive you are correct - the premium brake option is no longer present.

The XR6T and XR8 get the larger brakes from the territory - which are actually bigger than the old premiums - particularly the rears. The Brembos remain exclusive to the FPV's.

If you want bigger - fit them after market...

Goof luck! :spoton:

Ben.

Just found the following info about the BF from the Carpoint site dated Sep '05:

Brakes

Ford has developed a new Performance brake package for the BF Falcon based on new hardware developed for the Territory. The new brakes outperform and therefore replace the previous premium brake option and are now fitted as standard to the XR6 Turbo and XR8 sedan/ute, and in conjunction with the 24-valve V8 engine in the Falcon XT, Fairmont, Fairmont Ghia, Fairlane G8 and LTD.

The package includes new pillar ventilated front rotors 322mm diameter by 28mm thick and new pillar ventilated rear rotors of 328mm x 26mm. These are substantially bigger than the standard 298 x 28mm ventilated fronts and 303 x 16mm solid rears.

As this set-up also surpasses the standard FPV brake package, it will prompt a brake upgrade for FPV’s BF range.

Just found the following info about the BF from the Carpoint site dated Sep '05:
Brakes

Ford has developed a new Performance brake package for the BF Falcon based on new hardware developed for the Territory. The new brakes outperform and therefore replace the previous premium brake option and are now fitted as standard to the XR6 Turbo and XR8 sedan/ute, and in conjunction with the 24-valve V8 engine in the Falcon XT, Fairmont, Fairmont Ghia, Fairlane G8 and LTD.

The package includes new pillar ventilated front rotors 322mm diameter by 28mm thick and new pillar ventilated rear rotors of 328mm x 26mm. These are substantially bigger than the standard 298 x 28mm ventilated fronts and 303 x 16mm solid rears.

As this set-up also surpasses the standard FPV brake package, it will prompt a brake upgrade for FPV’s BF range.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting well maybe they do need to upgrade the Ford website.

I successfully won a bid on a set of these, got em for $450, removed from xr8 and brand new replaced with race brakes.. For anyone interested in an upgrade this has got to be a great option for the ba.. Much less than the 3k for the premium package option when buying the ba for comparisons.. Fitting later in the week.. :spit:

I have e-mailed ford for ananswer. I think the quote above from carpoint is right, but the ford website threw me (still listed as an option). the calipers are quite big and look at least as big as the PBR's.

my real gripe is with the fleet dept of the company I work for, as they internally advertised the car as having the premium brake option, and are now backpedalling by saying premium brakes are standard on the BF.

you can almost guarantee they will bolt across onto a BA. Anyone compared the two - are they better by much? are they better than BA performance ones?

you can almost guarantee they will bolt across onto a BA.  Anyone compared the two - are they better by much?  are they better than BA performance ones?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And, assuming they provide similar performance to the PBR set up on the BAs, what's the cost of pads for each of the set ups?

That is, would it be better/cheaper to upgrade to PBR or the BF brakes?

chOpper,

These brakes you've bought (calipers and rotors I assume), were they the standard parts off a BF XR8? And do you know yet if they are a straight swap onto a BA?

:spoton:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Standard BF xr8 brakes and as far as I understand will fit directly onto the BA. Will confirm once I have them..

Premiums brakes are as follows

stock brakes are the teritory brakes now with a 325mm vented front and 328mm rear solid rotor, single piston caliper, just like the BA'a only larger.

Option 1 is the old premium and standard fittment on the BA typhoon/GT

4 pot alloy callipers and 325 mm rotors.

next step I have been told available soon is the 4 pot brembo and 355mm rotors, Stil has not been confirmed yet on BF XR6T, this is the same brake pack as the BF phoon get standard.

Happy to be corrected, but had along chat with sales/product specilist last weeks regarding this exact topic.

Premiums brakes are as follows

stock brakes are the teritory brakes now with a 325mm vented front and 328mm rear solid rotor, single piston caliper, just like the BA'a only larger.

Option 1 is the old premium and standard fittment on the BA typhoon/GT

4 pot alloy callipers and 325 mm rotors.

next step I have been told available soon is the 4 pot brembo and 355mm rotors, Stil has not been confirmed yet on BF XR6T, this is the same brake pack as the BF phoon get standard.

Happy to be corrected, but had along chat with sales/product specilist last weeks regarding this exact topic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

interesting. hopefully ford will confirm (if they ever get around to replying to my e-mail)

reply from Ford:

Thank you for your e-mail to Ford Motor Company of Australia Limited.

We can confirm there is a premium brakes option for the BF XR6. You can view all the options for the Ford BF Falcon XR6 range by clicking on the link below:

http://www.ford.com.au/range/falcon/models/xr6sedan.asp

We hope this information is of assistance to you.

I note he has said "XR6", not XR6 Turbo, which is what I asked about.

still not satisfied I have a definitive answer, will try them again..

you can almost guarantee they will bolt across onto a BA.  Anyone compared the two - are they better by much?  are they better than BA performance ones?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just got them today, standard bf xr8 brakes.. I think they are virtually the ba performance ones.. They are pbr..

Fronts 322mm ventilated rotor, twin piston caliper. (much larger than my ba fronts)

Rear 328mm ventilated rotor, single piston caliper. (much larger than my ba rears and better also being ventilated, my ba rears are solid rotors)

Gonna paint the calipers before I put them on. They are brand new with everything including disc rotors, calipers, lines and pads.. Apparently they remove a few of these sets from race cars, keep an eye out on e bay. :crybaby:

Fitted the BF brakes today, they feel very very good compared to the stock ba brakes. Much firmer responsive feel, a few hard sprints and pulls up much quicker without fading or shudder, and best bit I like is no damn sqeal.. :nono:

Fitted the BF brakes today, they feel very very good compared to the stock ba brakes. Much firmer responsive feel, a few hard sprints and pulls up much  quicker without fading or shudder, and best bit I like is no damn sqeal..  :nono:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Brad what did they set you back?

CYA JEFF :nono:

Fitted the BF brakes today, they feel very very good compared to the stock ba brakes. Much firmer responsive feel, a few hard sprints and pulls up much  quicker without fading or shudder, and best bit I like is no damn sqeal..  :nono:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

See post #10 by ch0pper on 27 Feb 06. $450 from e-bay.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mate scored them on ebay for $450.. they are new too ! Not a bad buy considering I think they are on par with the PBR performance set up that can be bought for roughly 2K from this forum.. Only thing they dont have is braided lines and slotted rotors, but they stop damn good ! The size matters I reckon, think the rear ventilated bigger rotor as opposed to solid makes a lot of difference..