Typhoon Questions

Phoon Hoon

• Member For: 18y 11m 17d

Some questions about my car.

1. The engine seems to run relatively hot. The temperature guage is usually just under half way. On hot days, it touches the half way mark. Is this normal?

2. The standard Dunlops don't seem to be the best... does anyone else concur?

3. My fuel consumption is lousy! Can I expect it to improve as the engine beds itself in? (I have currently done about 4,000km). If so, how many k's will I need on the clock before I see an improvement?

4. The manual Phoon has a rev alert that tells you when to change gear. I read in the book that this can be turned off at a Ford service centre if requested. Is it possible, therefore, to turn this feature ON in an auto, so that when you are driving in manual mode you get the rev alert (I've accidentally hit the rev limiter a few times when changing manually)???

Thanks for any assistance

• Member For: 19y 10m 1d

your right foot will control the fuel consumpion the most, but it is a heavy car, so you would expect 14- 18 lt around town, and about 9.5- 10.5 on the highway.

youcan put a cooler thermerstat in it ,but it might hurt the fuel consumpion a bit.

mine runs a bit lower then yours but that might just be calabration between the BF and the BA.

don't know about the chime, but ask ford and tell us.

• Member For: 18y 5m 23d
1. The engine seems to run relatively hot. The temperature guage is usually just under half way. On hot days, it touches the half way mark. Is this normal?

3. My fuel consumption is lousy! Can I expect it to improve as the engine beds itself in? (I have currently done about 4,000km). If so, how many k's will I need on the clock before I see an improvement?

4. The manual Phoon has a rev alert that tells you when to change gear. I read in the book that this can be turned off at a Ford service centre if requested. Is it possible, therefore, to turn this feature ON in an auto, so that when you are driving in manual mode you get the rev alert (I've accidentally hit the rev limiter a few times when changing manually)???

1. mine does the same so I guess that makes it normal :oooh:

2. the dunlops are not too bad for factory tyres IMHO, but having said that there is no way ill be putting them on when its time to replace... im thinking go for some pilots :msm:

3. my fuel consumption did improve by around 1 L/100 after around 2500k's

4. im sure they use the same dash so it should be just a 30 second job for your dealer :spoton:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 11m 9d

My average fuel consumption is 18L/100kms. On the highway, it's anywhere from 6.9-8.4 whilst cruising at about 100km/h. My temp also sits a couple of needle widths under half, so appears that it's the same as yours.

My phoon's done 5700kms.

Guest newl
  • Guests

Sounds about right. Usually I see mine hit the half way mark after turning it off, running into a shop and coming back out.

Can't really speak on this yet. Haven't had to replace them. Though they seem to perform about the same as the SP3000's did on the T.

3. My fuel consumption is lousy! Can I expect it to improve as the engine beds itself in? (I have

currently done about 4,000km). If so, how many k's will I need on the clock before I see an improvement?

I average 14.1/100 city (14.6/100 or so if I'm hooning around). Car doesn't get driven much on the freeway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As others have said, talk to Ford on this one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Formerly Turbo6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 2m 20d

1. No. I have a much cooler thermostat in mine and the needle never moves past just over the first indicator - thermo fans have been retuned via Edit.

2. I actually think they are quite good grip wise but way too loud. I am putting Falken RT215's (semi-slicks) on mine - doesn't get driven for commuting anywhere.

3. Right foot syndrome. You should try my fuel consumption when you are into it a little.................... scary!

4. No idea. I love it though especially with an increased rev-limit with Edit. It cecomes very practical in a manual.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 9m

1. Mine runs about the same and appears to be hiher than the T I had.

2. I find them totally crappy. I had some decent Toyo's on the T's factory 18's and I now find that I have to apply more lock on familiar turns due to the increased understeer. Aparts from less grip, the tyres are unacceptably noisy.

3. This seems higher than the T but hoping it will drop.

4. Don't know about the option for auto's.

• It's All In Your Mind
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 4m 27d

1. Replace the thermostat with a cooler one, all the standard phoons I've driven sit around half.

2. Tyres are very noisey and over priced, but they hold togeather when you have the speed limiter gone and the speedo needle jams up against the trip meter pin at 270. I think there is better value out there, but I've never kept any of my cars long enough to need to replace the back tyres. Typhoon 013 has 18,000 klm on it and the rears are just about shot, my GT killed the rears in 12,000 klm. :blink:

3. 15.5 average with highway and city driving, sometimes normal, sometimes scaring HSVs. :msm:

4. Can't see why they can't switch it on. :blink:

• potty trained
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 2d

1 - about 11.30

2 - noisy but tough

3 - 15.5 ... 50% mountain driving 50% city

4 - auto's run a 200 rpm over rev limit under wot (I think) ... so the bells would be going off all the time for you ... d'oh

the manual rev alerts are not gear change alerts

keep it off the peak revs if you are getting Ford servicing .... big brother is watching