Overboosting

SavageF6

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y

So there I was, flogging along. From memory, I was charging flat out, having just changed into 4th. Then the engine suddenly lost power, like I'd hit the speed limiter. Overboost right? No, I wasn't anywhere near max speed either :stirthepot:

This was actually about a month ago, but I never worried about it, since it hasn't done it since.

My question is thus: even though the car has been shut down and restarted numerous times since then (and runs perfectly), would the PCM remember that the car overboosted? What about all the Euro III stuff on the BFs?

My only concern is that my F6 might have been in some sort of 'reduced performance lazyarse safety mode ever since'. To be honest, I can't haven't felt any drop in performance. but you never know (then again how often can you test max performance on the streets anyway). I'd hate to think my phoon is being lazy because of some error code you see.

Meh, just wondering.

• Member For: 18y 6m 15d

not 100% sure about your logged over boost question but I was told by a FPV R&D guy that some typhoons are having trouble with the traction control. Mine comes on way too early at low speeds and in a straight line on a track the traction control comes on after changing into 4th all the time but not always into 3rd :hammerhead: . I was told that mine is one of the better ones as some of them fully retard the engine even in mid gear (4th and up) on straight roads.

I was asked by FPV guy to get my dealer to look for TC error codes but there were none there.

another interesting thing about the TC problem is that the light on the dash doesnt always come on even when you can hear the misfire of the traction control trying to take over. My car is effected to the point of over 2 seconds per lap slower with TC on around Sandown and FPV guy driving both laps :wasklywabbit:

• Member For: 18y 9m 5d

well so far I havn't come across that problem.. (touch wood!), I've taken her right up and through the gears aswell.. maybe take it for a dyno run see what psi your running stock?? I know from memory mine just hit 9psi.. then went down to 6psi at the end... just about to hit 8000km.. also I turn my TC off as soon as I get in the car as I think im having the problem as soon as I give it a boot full in a straight line she goes all retarted (this is stock), well good luck with it anyway mate!

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 24d

When the overboost problem hit on the BA's I was told that the PCM will log a code for overboost, but it has to happen a few times (5 I think) before the code is logged.

• Member For: 18y 3m 22d

Ive had the exact same thing happen to me twice since Ive had the car, second time was yesterday. The only common denominator I have noticed on both occasions is that my fuel levels were below 1/4 of a tank. Dont know if this is just a coincedence or related to problem, but maybe some of the tuners here can shed some light on the subject.

Cheers

Jeff

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y

Thanks for the replies there guys, tis a strange one.

I was low on fuel at time too (less than 1/4), but I'm not sure how to identify fuel surge in these things. I was going flat out through the gears, and upon hitting speed xxx, the engine pretty much shut off completely for a few seconds, until I had taken my foot off the accelerator (an automatic response given the 'holy sh*te!' factor.) I coasted for a little bit as I slowed down, reapplied throttle, and away she went.

I thought I must have blown all my turbo hoses off or something.

I think my TC is behaving pretty well, I've never noticed the light come on any other time than at launch.

Interesting thing is that since it happened, I've been going much much quicker on a couple of occasions (non public roads), and it hasn't sneezed once. The boost gauge never gets much past 3/4 deflection though (everything stock, no Edit yet).

I think a dyno session might be in order.

• 6 years later...
  • Member For: 11y 10m 9d

Hey guys sounds like im having the same problem but a whole lot worse. I bought mine 2nd hand with 150 thou k's and was all good until about 5000 ks later it started doing the "brrrrr" crap. Took it into ford and they pulled it apart and said coil packs,and while im at it do the spark plugs.That was done,didnt fix it,then it was the electronic boost control solenoid.

Fixxed,but only for about two months and then the same problem again. Mine is fully stock apart from a Blitz BOV and its now spooling up to quick and will run out of puff too early and will do the "brrrr" until I get off it and spool up again. I have bought another wastegate actuator to attempt to swap them over as a fault has generated "Wastegate overboost". Id say ford replaced my plugs with sh#t ones so ive just bought new NGK ones so fingers crossed.

Any clues on what this may be would be a great help ive read allot of articles saying its the actuator flogged out and not holding boost. Oh and forgot to mention if u dont re spool after it it kinda feels like it chokes the motor and could stall if u came to a stop at a intersection cos it shakes like crazy,also has sounded like a popping or backfiring under hard boost but hasnt for a while.

Any help would be much appreciated.

• Member For: 12y 2m 24d

Haydo, Sounds like I have the exact same issue..

Purchased my stock 03 auto a few months ago, 120kms, ran perfectly until recently it started the 'brrrr' noise and no boost on WOT only. When I plant my foot I get nothing but the 'brrr' but if I back off slightly it seems to come on boost and move. I don't want to start needlessly replacing things that are fine so any light you can shed on resolving your issue might help me also.

Just for a bit of additional info, about a month earlier I did the boost solenoid clean but I accidentally used a type of WD40 referred to as a 'spray lubricant' as opposed to the usual generic WD40 can. I didnt think anything of it at the time but wondering if this has somehow affected things inside the solenoid.

• Member For: 13y 3m 1d

Sounds a little like maybe a solenoid/actuator issue. Hard to say though without hearing it.

Maybe a valve spring issue causing the bad idle after boosting.

Out of curiosity have you guys done anything about your turbo oil filters yet?