Detroit Locker

blackwrx

• Member For: 19y 2m

I remember years ago seeing a mates car, a big V8 with a detroit locker installed. I loved the way that it made the wheels crank over.

I dont know a great deal about them, just like the effect. :mexicanwave:

Has anyone installed one on the XR6t?

What are they really needed for?

• Phantom lives
  • Member For: 19y 11m 29d

detroit locker was designed for tow trucks, big and heavy waste of time and lose horsepower good quality LSD does the best job for a street car..

jeff

• VERY LARGE MEMBER
  • Member For: 19y 6m 22d

Great for 4x4's...............I had one in the back of my V8 Landrover......and a Detroit LSD in the front.........the thing would climb trees!

But in the XR....stick to the LSD..........unless ARB make an Airlocker, it might be worth a look.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 12d

How does a locker lose HP.....In a straight line it should get power to the ground better......but not much better than a fresh LSD. I would not put one in a street car, unless you intend on frying tyres very reguarly. My mate has recently put one in his modified suzuki sierra!!!! Lockers basically ensure that both tyres are spinning at the same time......so when you corner the outside tyre turns at the same rate as the inside.....causing chirping!!! LSD allow for the outside tyre to rotate at a greater speed/distance than the inside, while providing power to both wheels in a straight line situation or when power is loaded to the rear (ie burnout).

• Member For: 20y 9m 22d

I had a locked diff in my gemini and their a dog of a thing to drive around the street and especially in the wet. I mean I had difficulty going through the tight turn of a KFC drive thru !!!

Robbie.

• Member For: 19y 9m 9d

an lsd is a far safer diff, as a detroit will open & lock by itself.

As for cornering an LSD will allow the the inside & outside wheels to differentiate, where as a locked diff will force the car to understeer.

Russ

• potty trained
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 25d
detroit locker was designed for tow trucks, big and heavy waste of time and lose horsepower good quality LSD does the best job for a street car..

jeff

explain to me how lockers loose horsepower :fool: