Whos For I R Reforms

stang

• Member For: 19y 5m 5d

I for one am against what the little *beep* is proposing, I work 60 hours a week and 20 hours of that is overtime paid at the appropriate penalty rates,(most of the overtime is compulsory) if he decides penalty rates should be reduced or scraped should I be froced to work those extra hours for the same money as the rest of the normal week? I think not. I also get 2 rostered days off per month, which those 2 days pay are deducted from my wage each week, sould I be forced to give up my RDO's without recieving the extra pay that is deducted from my wage, I think not. With public holidays being scrapped do you honestly think most employers wont take advantage of them and treat those days as any other day of the year, without paying the appropriate penalty rates? and the little *beep* always talks of skilled labour shortages, what incetive is he offering for people to enter the workforce in these areas, individual contracts of less money, no public holidays, no penalty rates for less than 55 hours worked, flexible times of work which means you may have to work on a weekend with no penalty rates or start work at any hour of the day without penalty rates, As a worker in the building industry, his industrial police have more power over me than the local cops, which means if I dont "dob" in a mate who suggests this is not safe or that is not right I will face a huge fine (I think it can amount to $20,000) or a jail term or both with out a trial or jury, (If I killed someone at least I would have the right to a trial and a jury)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 1d

BA turb you hit the little ****right on the head .I also work in the building industry ,Mate you are dead RIGHT.The towel heads had their chance to bang him but they missed that chance over in Iraq.

Do people know really what this clown is up too.I pitty the young duds coming into the work force. The pollies will be retiring on a healthy sums while the work force will be on the bones of there arse.

Joe

• Playing with Sports Bikes...
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 5m 21d
Now where has that bloody Lumpen Unionlover gone? Surprised he’s not in here dribbling by now

Am I the bleeding heart pinko you are referring to? :blush:

I too work 60 hours a week, every week. 7.30am to 7.30pm, how is my job worthwhile without the overtime? Truth is, it is not. My home loan, car, insurance, bills and all the things I have rely on me earning the money that I do, I'm not going to give it back easily. The company that I work for is extremely profitable, is a market leader and isn't going to go bankrupt internationally anytime soon, so why not cut the wages of the workers over a period of time so that this profitable multinational can make even more money. Sounds like a stupid thing to do to me... :fool:

Our rights as workers have been fought for for over 100 years... lets not throw them away on a whim... we fought for and got them for a reason...

Jack (bleeding heart, art loving, pinko lumpen unionlover) :blush::laughing:

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 25d

No mate I wasn't referring to you - I was talking about Lumpen Proleteriat (or whatever he calls himself), he's usually wading through these type of topics spreading the commie love.

I still haven't seen any factual evidence of this propaganda though.

• Seriously Flukey Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 29d

I would like to see some relaxing of unions power on construction sites. Because of some over zealous shop stupids,( stewards) my company has given away working this sector.

We choose to pay our guys (well) over award wages and we have a good understanding that sometimes we need to do extra, other times, if work allows, they can take off early. It works well and everybody is happy. It allows flexibility and everyone is treated like adults.

Unions penalise those that want to work extra and also penalise those that like flexibility in their roles.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 15d
I for one am against what the little *beep* is proposing, I work 60 hours a week and 20 hours of that is overtime paid at the appropriate penalty rates,(most of the overtime is compulsory) if he decides penalty rates should be reduced or scraped should I be froced to work those extra hours for the same money as the rest of the normal week? I think not. I also get 2 rostered days off per month, which those 2 days pay are deducted from my wage each week, sould I be forced to give up my RDO's without recieving the extra pay that is deducted from my wage, I think not. With public holidays being scrapped do you honestly think most employers wont take advantage of them and treat those days as any other day of the year, without paying the appropriate penalty rates? and the little *beep* always talks of skilled labour shortages, what incetive is he offering for people to enter the workforce in these areas, individual contracts of less money, no public holidays, no penalty rates for less than 55 hours worked, flexible times of work which means you may have to work on a weekend with no penalty rates or start work at any hour of the day without penalty rates, As a worker in the building industry, his industrial police have more power over me than the local cops, which means if I dont "dob" in a mate who suggests this is not safe or that is not right I will face a huge fine (I think it can amount to $20,000) or a jail term or both with out a trial or jury, (If I killed someone at least I would have the right to a trial and a jury)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well said, got to agree with you there mate.

In WA, it's a $22,000 fine for an individual for failing to 'co-operate' with the building task force.

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 5d

The biggest problem with IR reforms is:

The government is saying that the country needs them, yet we hear no details about what changes will be, they always seem to sidestep any direct questions and are vague about any specifics.

The Unions and Labour state governments (NSW specifically) are creating a huge hype over how bad these changes will be, but are harping on issues that are not correct (according to the Libs).

I do not know who to believe, but at the end of the day, if you are currenlty under an state or federal award, NOTHING will change.

These laws are ONLY for enterprise agreements and not for the standard awards. When you are going for a new job, they may offer a enterprise agreement, but you cannot be worse off than the award for your position. People saying that they will loose penalty rates and overtime, need to understand that if you are getting it now, nothing will change unless you are under an enterprise agreement (EA) and it has an expiry date. If you are offered an EA they must offer you incentaves for overtime/ out of hours work, you would not be expected to work 60hrs per week for no extra renumeration. You may be offered a much higher base rate without penalty rates, but they cannot sack you for not agreeing to a new EA.

I think the unions have scared people into thinking that these changes are a bad thing, I personally do not think that it is all bad, but it will disadvantage some workers who rely on penalty rates for their income.

What we have seen in the last 20 years is a more flexiable and demanding population. Everyone wants to be able to go shopping 24/7, eat and drink 24/7 and have services and entertainment 24/7. This has created a big problem because the awards have not kept up with the times, so I see these IR's as being a way for people to have flexible working times while not making the employer pay huge penalty rates to provide goods and services.

I really do not think this will bring doom and gloom for the average worker and a windfall for the boss, but will allow people to come to an agreement with their boss as to what they see as important to them and come to an arragement that suits both parties.

I am an employer who would like to have my staff working 12hr days 4 days a week with a RDO each month. This would mean I can have 24hr/7day service with only 2 shifts per day. I can do this now with an enterprise agreement with my staff, but I need to get this approved by the state industrial relations board to be approved before this can be put to my staff.

At the end of the day, staff will not work for someone who is unfair or will disadvantage workers as bosses need workers more than workers need bosses as you can always find another job.

• Flaccid Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 10m 29d

Simple facts are that we're never going to compete with Korea or China etc by cutting wages. We need to compete as technical experts, better training and better education systems is the only way we can compete.

I'm a Geologist and at the moment you would not believe the number of job offers I'm getting OR the stupid money people are willing to pay. That's because there's a shortage of Geo's at the moment. A Graduate can earn up to $80,000 P.A... Nobody did Geoscience when I went through UNI, 6 people graduated with me and there's only me and one other left in the industry.

When things were tight, the companies could screw us, the only thing saving us was the IR laws. Things will get tight again and people will get screwed again. It's all well and good when you're in demand, but don't think it's going to last forever.

No Sir, I don't like it.

• Member For: 19y 5m 5d

the new laws propose to cut the number of allowable matters in enterprise agreements from 9 down to 5, now tell me who is going to be better off? there is about 80+ skilled workers on the building site I am working on at the moment and if the laws pass as proposed without amendments there will be about 80+ less skilled labour in the building industry, on 1 site alone, what will that do for Australias skilled labour shortage and the economy