Second Hand Edits

bugster70

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 9m 22d

It is possible but I wouldn't recommend it.

Basically, when you first download the edit, it uploads you factory tune into the box and locks it in. You can have the F slot cleared, but only 5 times before the box has to go back to CAPA/US to be cleared. Therefore, every time you have the F slot cleared, the box looses "a life".

Most people flash the factory tune back in before a service, if they still have standard injectors in place.

• Member For: 18y 7m 26d

that has certainly woken me up to stop looking for a second handone and stop being a tight ass in short brand new = no hassles and is they way I am now going.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 16d
One question for you though, can you update the factory tune periodically, if Ford brings out more updated tunes?

Thanks for the kind feedback guys, I thought and hoped it'd help a few members out! In answer to your question 81CJH, SIXRT is absolutely right in his comments - uses one of the box's 5 lives each time and has to be sent back to CAPA to be done. :blink:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 16d
so you need to run a higher octane fuel for non standard maps?

just wondering why that is if somebody could clear that bit up for me

great post

thanx

mark

It's definitely advisable, yes. I'm sure someone more knowledgable will come along and give a more detailed/technical explanation, but my understanding is that with the higher boost levels the engine runs hotter and therefore increases the risk of detonation - higher octane fuels are less prone to detonation, in addition to providing more power, etc. Don't quote me on that as I'm not 100% sure I'm right! :blink:

• Crusty aviator
  • Member For: 19y 9m 30d

The bottom line is dont plag and play (pray?) and wonder about pinging, octanes and the rest, get the darn thing custom tuned by someone wo understands what they are meddling with.

Dingah

• Member For: 18y 7m 2d
It is possible but I wouldn't recommend it.

Basically, when you first download the edit, it uploads you factory tune into the box and locks it in. You can have the F slot cleared, but only 5 times before the box has to go back to CAPA/US to be cleared. Therefore, every time you have the F slot cleared, the box looses "a life".

Most people flash the factory tune back in before a service, if they still have standard injectors in place.

Thanks for the kind feedback guys, I thought and hoped it'd help a few members out!  In answer to your question 81CJH, SIXRT is absolutely right in his comments - uses one of the box's 5 lives each time and has to be sent back to CAPA to be done.  :laughing:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, so wouldn't that be worth doing? I mean Ford isn't likely to be bringing out an updated tune every 2 months or anything, and it would certainly pay to have the latest update in there when you take it back next service rather than just put back the original factory tune.

I'm assuming of course that the dealership will tell you when they've applied an updated tune (at least they did when they reflashed mine at 3000kms).

In any case, just so we're all entirely clear, If you were to take your T into your dealership for whatever and they noticed you'd loaded it with a modified tune, they'd wipe your warranty in a heartbeat, yeah?

IMO the protection of warranty justifies the usage of "lives".

Also just to clarify, SIXRT when you say you can have the F slot cleared, does that mean you can do it yourself, or do you have to take it to someone who has the software to do custom tunes? If you had to take it to someone I guess the inconvenience factor may dictate whether you get it update or not. :spoton: