Back Firing And Shaking Prob!

muzza420

• Member For: 18y 10m 6d

juz wanted to ask theres a problem that I have been havin whenever I floor the car in the first and third gear when its about to peak out, the car starts back firing and shakes but when I step off the gas for a sec, it recovers. I thought that this could be either the injectors or the fuel pump which I am upgrading in the weekend.

Do you guys agree that this is a injector problem? if not please explain wat this could be??

my car is under work for the intercooler, injectors,dump pipe, high cat

fuel pump, CAI, BMC filter and spring valves.

please give me some advise on this prob and if it has happened to ne one else>??

cheers

muzza :blink:

p.s juz wanna say that this shaking and back firing is well before the rev stricter.

• Member For: 19y 1m 18d

I was going to post about this happening to me

its really random..

my car is still stock, and if you stopped in one of these backfiring spots the car shakes like it has parkinsons. I usually have to take my foot of the gas then put it on again for it to go. I had a thought that it might be from dirty fuel or something so I didnt worry too much about it.

its a complete loss of power which kicks in at about 4500 revs.

only seems to happen when I accelerate hard, but not flat to the floor...

• Flaccid Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 10m 7d

Sounds like it could be fuel starvation, I'd start with the fuel filters.......

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 24d

I had this problem the other night, doing 80km in a hundred zone, I floored it (auto) car kicked back into 2nd gear and at 5000-5200rpm the car shuddered/juddered and felt like it ran out of power. Tried this 2 more times and same thing, I then stopped to take off with full throttle and at 5000rpm wasnt as bad but then a noise, like a playing card in your push bike spokes (definately not tappets).

The only way I can descibe the power loss is like the old 186/202 Expensive Daewoo motor, you rev them past there power limit but they keep reving and you can feel the power disappear.

Sorry for the long winded desciption but this is all I can think of. nd I have never had this problem beforehand.

Brett.

p.s. my car is moddified with 42lb inj, valve springs, TSI computer. Has 220rwkw with aggressive mid range (boost on early).

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 24d

This was supposedly done when the mods were done and the spark plugs are those expensive ones (iridium or one of those) about $25each I hope they dont need replacing?

is the gap 0.9mm or 0.8mm?

Brett.

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 18y 11m 10d

Has anyone worked out what is the fix for this problem? I have an 03 auto and have been having the same issue.. In actual fact I had a very very bad case of the shakes last night... Driving hard then all of a sudden the Engine light came on and I could not drive the car over 30km/hr and it was shaking badly! got home lifted the bonnet. could no tell what was going on cause I have no idea! but it did not sound healthy at all! turned it off.. tried to turn it on again and it was fine... I am booked into ford on monday to go for a drive with the supervisor so he can see whats happening... Can anyone assist me?

• Member For: 19y 4m 27d

Hmmm - sounds just like my problem which I started this thread about:

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.ph...topic=20368&hl=

The car had the shakes and I thought a diff sound. I've since discovered that the sound is the exhaust and the engine runs crap with no throttle response.

DCVIN (Saw your car at Bayswater Waves a few weeks ago - very nice!) - you got a CAPA edit the same time as me - perhaps its the generic tune causing overboosting or valve spring or some sort of engine protection, as suggested by Ben in the above thread?

Mark

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 22d

I'd be checking the plug gaps first, even to 0.80.

If still persistant, then maybe the fuel pump dumping the fuel once it gets too much internal pressure.

A new fuel pump is only about $350

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 1m 26d
Have you tried regapping plugs to 0.9mm or replacing them?.

Might be worth a go, cheaper!!. :spoton:

SPOT ON :tease: Try gapping to .9 first...

always try to have as a big a gap as possible... 0.9 should be the goods