Oil Consumption

ASNU

• Member For: 21y 2m 2d

Hey Guys and Girls.

I have had my XR6T ute for 1 month now and have noticed signs of blowing smoke after start up when hot.When I checked the oil level after 4000km it was reading only half.Being a registered mechanic signs have shown that maybe I have faulty Valve Stem Oil seals,Thus leaking down past the guides after shutdown for at least 10 minutes.After a very painfull inspection by the dealer which left dirty paw prints all over my baby they said nothing was wrong which is crap.I have heard as I am in the Automotive industrie that a few cars have had valve Stem oil seal problems.Is anybody out there looseing oil or blowing smoke after starting when hot?.I have lost all confidence in the dealer network and want some sort of explaination.Help guys.

post-3-1049282867.jpg

Edited by Dagabond

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Bored Member
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 4m 14d

Grouse backyard ASNU!! :oooh:

The monday arvo after the weekend I went for the run down the GOR I noticed that the oil level had dropped to the fill line, had about 7500k's on the clock pryor to this point without the level changing now have just over 9000k's and it hasnt moved since(after a top up). :oooh:

(I think you need to resize the pic's so it doesnt take so long for them to upload, that or wait longer for them to upload).

• 2 weeks later...
  • What's happening?
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 24d

Well I have had a disturbing couple of days.

Checking the oil on the weekend after washing the car, level was only on the tip of the dipstick. Topped it up and it took over 2.5 litres. Hmmmm, interesting :thumbsup:

Now the last time I checked it was about 3000 Km ago (7700 at present), so as you can see this is excessive to say the least. There are no leaks etc so I am a bit woried.

Took it in to the dealer on Tuesday, they had it for the day to check everything over. Couldnt find anything (thought as much), so they have topped it up precisely and want me to drive for another couple of weeks so they can measure the exact comsumption. From there they will need to talk to Ford to find out whats happening.

I thought it was only LS1 V8s that went through these dramas. Be interesting to see how quick the Expensive Daewoo boys get hold of this story and run with it.

Will keep you all posted on the developments.

• Member For: 21y 3d

I hope this is a one off. 4,550kms and not a drop gone. Oil still clear, motor running like a dream. Keep us posted, and I hope if there is a prob that Ford do the desent thing and sought it put quickly and properly. Best of luck!!!! :thumbsup:

• Member For: 20y 11m 10d

I have had similar problems. At about 2,300 I noticed large clouds of smoke (blue/grey) comming from the exhaust when starting. This was not everytime nor more noticable in heat just random. Also sometime between 1,500km when I previously checked the oil it had dropped from full to almost the add line. When I took it in for the 3,000km service they topped up the oil and sent me away(something about being double booked) At 5,000km when I got it done (finally) It was back to the add line. They told me that it was in normal usage levels. Max Tolerance is 4ltr for the first 10,000km during run in period for the turbo. They said they could not find anything wrong with it, topped it up and sent me on my way. It continued to do it for approx 500kms more then stopped. I now have 11,500km and is still nearly full at the dipstick.(about 1/6th down)

Maybe they put an additive in it like wynns stop smoke????? will know after the next service as I have relocated and will be going to a new dealer.

• Member For: 21y 2m 2d

My car now is under a oil consumption test from ELN Ford.They were very professional in there approach to my situation not like the first idiot dealer that I took my baby to and returned it with dirty paw prints all over it,I nearlly shoved the service adviser in a big bag in the back of my ute and threw him off the hawksbury bridge.

ELN did a full check,Plugs out to do a leak down plus pulled off all Turbo hoses to make sure the turbo was not faulty and no fault found.They refilled my oil level to where it should be after the other dealer over filled it by about half a litre and sealed my engine to be checked in another 2000km.

Blowing blue smoke seems to have gone away at the moment but still does not tell me why the oil level was so low?.I shall post another topic in the next couple of weeks on this subject.

I feel the dealer who I bought this car off is to much of the blame as when I picked up the car after tradeing my AU2 XR8 the main Turbo pipe was not even connected so no power but you live and learn.They have lost a customer for good now who updates every 2 years so there lose.These people or dealers only survive on repeat business so they have lost my business for ever.I drive currently 1 hour to get good service and have found a dealer that will do it.Wish I bought the car from them in the first place.

• Member For: 20y 11m 10d

Please let me know what comes of it. As I am expecting it to start blowing smoke and using oil again after the next service. Shuch a dramatic change in my situation could only be from addatives that the service dept put in.