Shell Optimax Vs Bp Ultimate Vs Caltex Vortex 98

XR60

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 2d
I used Optimax for a about 10 months but then swithched to Mobil Synergy 8000 because the Mobil servo was more handy for me.

I must say that I haven't noticed any loss in performance and I have a lot less soot around the exhaust pipes now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I found the exact same thing!

• Member For: 19y 10m

If you've modded your car with piggyback or custom edit pick a fuel and get your car tuned to it and stick with it. If your car is standard does'nt really matter. Although you will find, one will give you better economy.

BP Ultimate is the only 98 fuel available where I Live so I have my car tuned using it.

I tried to run Mobil Synergy just to see what would happen. Car pinged like crazy even under light load. Changed back to BP pinging was gone.

These are from my experiences.

macka

• Member For: 20y 10m 9d

Cant say with My BA, but with my AU XR8 the thing definitely got better fuel economy, both caning and cruising.

Still running this one on Normal unleaded until I can get some numbers done for a comparo.

Whoops!! Forgot to add the important bit, I used only Shell Optimax in the AU, tried Ultimate, Synergy and Vortex, not really sure if there was any performance differance but definitely better economy with the Optimax!

Edited by theeone

• Member For: 20y 2m 24d

Basically there are two types of 98 Octane fuels on the market, high aromatic and low aromatic. In high aromatic fuels the octane is raised by adding benzene derivatives such as Toluene. Low aromatic fuels are produced by refining the fuel to a higher degree so these types of octane boosters are not required. These fuels contain more aliphatic compounds.

Optimax is a high aromatic fuel and BP ultimate is a low aromatic fuel. These fuels behave very differently during the combustion process. Aromatic compounds take longer to burn and tend not to completely burn during the combustion process. This is why you can see soot on the rear of you car when using high aromatic fuels.

• Lemming No #5
  • Member For: 19y 4m 4d

Well since the discontinuation of leaded fuels and their replacements throughout servos in the past few months I have had no choice but to use a high octane fuel. I started off using synergy 8000 then switched to optimax but now have gone back to synergy. Ultimate tends to be the fuel everyone talks highly of so I am going to give that a shot next time I need to fill up.

By the way I would say synergy tends to be the better fuel. :spoton:

• Member For: 19y 6m 10d

I guess its also a matter of location. There are no Ultimate nozzles near my house or on my way to work, so I would have to go out of my way pretty considerably to use it.

8000 on the other hand is 5 mins away :D

• Member For: 21y 3m 1d
Basically there are two types of 98 Octane fuels on the market, high aromatic and low aromatic.  In high aromatic fuels the octane is raised by adding benzene derivatives such as Toluene.  Low aromatic fuels are produced by refining the fuel to a higher degree so these types of octane boosters are not required.  These fuels contain more aliphatic compounds.

Optimax is a high aromatic fuel and BP ultimate is a low aromatic fuel.  These fuels behave very differently during the combustion process.  Aromatic compounds take longer to burn and tend not to completely burn during the combustion process.  This is why you can see soot on the rear of you car when using high aromatic fuels.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:spoton: Give that man a cigar

• FORD FORD FORD
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 11d

We are be only a few weeks away from having the Caltex 98

Scotty