Shell Optimax Vs Bp Ultimate Vs Caltex Vortex 98

XR60

• Member For: 19y 10m 5d

Just trying to do a bit of research on PULP fuel (98RON). Have mostly been on Optimax but have also used Ultimate for periods and cant really pick a difference in power or fuel economy. We don’t have any Vortex 98 up here only Vortex (95) so that rules caltex out.

Just cruising a few other chat forums and the general idea is that Ultimate gives you better fuel economy and power because it runs leaner. One interesting thread I saw was the use of Toluene as an additive by BP which them guarantee a 98RON rating :spoton:

Just wondering how others go with fuel and what you know about Toluene????

cheers

ps stage 1 APS will be on once my warranty finishes.... bout 10-11 months :spit:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 4m 21d

Interesting comments.

Peter from APS has said that optimax is a good fuel but it goes off after a period of time and loses Octane which can he hazardous for cars tuned to 98 ron. Perhaps it lacks Toleune as an additive...?

Here is some info on it Toluene

• Member For: 19y 11m 2d

I mostly use ultimate and when ive used optimax, I havnt really noticed and differences at all. I think I recall dynosteve saying that he found it a bit harder to make the power on his xr6t using optimax.

Shane.

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 18d

I used Optimax for a about 10 months but then swithched to Mobil Synergy 8000 because the Mobil servo was more handy for me.

I must say that I haven't noticed any loss in performance and I have a lot less soot around the exhaust pipes now.

• Member For: 20y 10m 25d
I used Optimax for a about 10 months but then swithched to Mobil Synergy 8000 because the Mobil servo was more handy for me.

I must say that I haven't noticed any loss in performance and I have a lot less soot around the exhaust pipes now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My motorbike runs better on Optimax but my XR6T runs better on Mobil8000. By better I mean slightly smoother and a little more power.

They are both awesome fuels. I have used both on a variety of leaded and unleaded vehicles with nothing but good things to say about them. First tried optimax the very day it was released, and there is definitely a noticeable difference if you drive hard. Fuel economy is also up (which is due to it being more dense).

I wouldnt worry much about toluene. As long as you are buying from a good brand servo (ie shell, BP, Mobil, etc) then you will be OK as they wont release fuel with too much toluene though their own dealers - they are firmly interested in protecting their brand name.

Note that in general (definitely for Shell) only the Oil company-owned servos are allowed to sell their premium 98 Octane fuels. (Applies to Optimax and perhaps to Mobil 8000)

The rest sell plain premium ULP around 95 octane. Those are independently owned. If you are ever likely to have an issue with cheap-a$$ fuel being sold to you its more likely to happen though an independent station or a no-name station. Aware of some dealers selling crap fuel they bought elsewhere, Shell and Mobil changed the way they bill the stations, and its done in a way that means its not in their interest financially to sell crap fuel.

But the same doesnt apply to those little no-name fuel places around the place. They will usually try to sell the cheapest crap they can find (often from indonesia). Some people get all emotional and say "crap Dodgytron sells fuel made at the Shell plant". This is sometimes true. What they dont tell you is it is different batches made to different standards....and usually not as high standard as BP's own BP-branded fuel.

• I see red
  • Member For: 21y 3m 2d

Up until recently I used Optimax whenever possible as it was the only 98 RON avail in Canberra but now there is Vortex and Ultimate 98 RON so I tried the Ultimate and the car seemed to go better.

• The Best Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 2m 9d

Only have BP Ultimate and Mobil Synergy 8000 here in Adelaide. I've never noticed any difference in performance. Recently I've started to notice that sometimes the Mobil Synergy 8000 will be 1 or 2 c/L more expensive though. Usually BP Ultimate is about 9-10 c/L more than regular ULP whereas Mobil Synergy 8000 is about 10-11 c/L more than regular ULP. This does vary though.

Guest jteale
  • Guests

I have recently converted to Vortex 98 (last 3 months), after using both Optimax and Ultimate ... and have found it to be more consistent in quality compared to Shell and BP, Shells quality has dropped in Sydney since the 4c Coles dscount and the Ultimate ranges in quality from servo to servo ... just my observations ...

Vortex 98 consistently provides me with the best results at the moment, but I believe it is only available from a limited number of Caltex servos at the moment.

Cheers, Jason.

• Member For: 21y 2m 21d
I have recently converted to Vortex 98 (last 3 months), after using both Optimax and Ultimate ... and have found it to be more consistent in quality

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds right as there is a Caltex Refinery in Kurnell, though Shell also has local one at Clyde, but that may be due to 4cpl economics

• Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 1m 17d

I use Ultimate 98 in all of my cars, as that is what is recommended by my dyno guy. Didn't notice much difference, I was previously using Optimax. My dyno guy also said most race boats use Ultimate....

FYI I was speaking to my engine builder, he recently engine dyno'd a 378 Cleveland, had Optimax in it, swapped over to Mobil Synergy 8000, picked up 30hp..... We aren't fortunate enough here in ACT to have Synergy. :ermm: