Please Support our site Advertisers. If you would like to Advertise please contact us using our Contact Form.

Welcome to FordXR6Turbo.com

Welcome to Ford XR6 Turbo.com, the Original Community dedicated to the XR6 Turbo. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information.

Benefits of joining Ford XR6 Turbo.com include:

• Features such as Photo Gallery, TimeSlips, Blog and the Garage.
  • Monthly Cruises and Events Australia Wide for Enthusiasts
  • Dedicated Technical Forums
  • Sponsor Discussion Forums
  • Member Classifieds
  • Live Chat
Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Shell Optimax Vs Bp Ultimate Vs Caltex Vortex 98

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   XR60

XR60

Training Wheels

• Inactive Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
    • :
  • Joined 10 Years, 2 Months and 18 Days

Posted 30 January 2005 - 07:14 PM

Just trying to do a bit of research on PULP fuel (98RON). Have mostly been on Optimax but have also used Ultimate for periods and cant really pick a difference in power or fuel economy. We donít have any Vortex 98 up here only Vortex (95) so that rules caltex out.

Just cruising a few other chat forums and the general idea is that Ultimate gives you better fuel economy and power because it runs leaner. One interesting thread I saw was the use of Toluene as an additive by BP which them guarantee a 98RON rating :spoton:

Just wondering how others go with fuel and what you know about Toluene????

cheers

ps stage 1 APS will be on once my warranty finishes.... bout 10-11 months :spit:

#2 OFFLINE   Geeseman

Geeseman

• Donating Members
  • 2,465 posts
    • Time Online: 9h 51m 37s
  • Joined 10 Years, 9 Months and 5 Days

Posted 30 January 2005 - 07:23 PM

Interesting comments.
Peter from APS has said that optimax is a good fuel but it goes off after a period of time and loses Octane which can he hazardous for cars tuned to 98 ron. Perhaps it lacks Toleune as an additive...?

Here is some info on it Toluene
Tuned by Autotech Engineering - The only workshop with 2 10 second F6 Turbos

#3 OFFLINE   xr6t ute

xr6t ute

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
    • :
  • Joined 10 Years, 3 Months and 14 Days

Posted 30 January 2005 - 07:34 PM

I mostly use ultimate and when ive used optimax, I havnt really noticed and differences at all. I think I recall dynosteve saying that he found it a bit harder to make the power on his xr6t using optimax.

Shane.

#4 OFFLINE   xrdreaming

xrdreaming

• Lifetime Members
  • 1,997 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 6 Months and 3 Days

Posted 30 January 2005 - 08:23 PM

I used Optimax for a about 10 months but then swithched to Mobil Synergy 8000 because the Mobil servo was more handy for me.

I must say that I haven't noticed any loss in performance and I have a lot less soot around the exhaust pipes now.
<b><!--coloro:purple--><span style="color:purple"><!--/coloro--><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Phantom<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></span></b> <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>XR6 Turbo Ute</span>
<b>A real man's toy!!!</b>
<!--coloro:yellow--><span style="color:yellow"><!--/coloro--><b>Hunting Holdens, back in 11 seconds.</b> <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

#5 OFFLINE   mickq

mickq

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
    • Time Online: 14m 5s
  • Joined 11 Years, 3 Months and 9 Days

Posted 30 January 2005 - 08:44 PM

I used Optimax for a about 10 months but then swithched to Mobil Synergy 8000 because the Mobil servo was more handy for me.

I must say that I haven't noticed any loss in performance and I have a lot less soot around the exhaust pipes now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My motorbike runs better on Optimax but my XR6T runs better on Mobil8000. By better I mean slightly smoother and a little more power.

They are both awesome fuels. I have used both on a variety of leaded and unleaded vehicles with nothing but good things to say about them. First tried optimax the very day it was released, and there is definitely a noticeable difference if you drive hard. Fuel economy is also up (which is due to it being more dense).

I wouldnt worry much about toluene. As long as you are buying from a good brand servo (ie shell, BP, Mobil, etc) then you will be OK as they wont release fuel with too much toluene though their own dealers - they are firmly interested in protecting their brand name.

Note that in general (definitely for Shell) only the Oil company-owned servos are allowed to sell their premium 98 Octane fuels. (Applies to Optimax and perhaps to Mobil 8000)

The rest sell plain premium ULP around 95 octane. Those are independently owned. If you are ever likely to have an issue with cheap-a$$ fuel being sold to you its more likely to happen though an independent station or a no-name station. Aware of some dealers selling crap fuel they bought elsewhere, Shell and Mobil changed the way they bill the stations, and its done in a way that means its not in their interest financially to sell crap fuel.

But the same doesnt apply to those little no-name fuel places around the place. They will usually try to sell the cheapest crap they can find (often from indonesia). Some people get all emotional and say "crap Dodgytron sells fuel made at the Shell plant". This is sometimes true. What they dont tell you is it is different batches made to different standards....and usually not as high standard as BP's own BP-branded fuel.

#6 OFFLINE   Falchoon

Falchoon

I see red

• Inactive Members
  • 6,371 posts
    • :
  • Joined 11 Years, 7 Months and 16 Days

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:01 AM

Up until recently I used Optimax whenever possible as it was the only 98 RON avail in Canberra but now there is Vortex and Ultimate 98 RON so I tried the Ultimate and the car seemed to go better.
See you in a couple of days!

#7 OFFLINE   BlueXR6Turbo

BlueXR6Turbo

The Best Member

• Donating Members
  • 2,089 posts
    • Time Online: 1h 18m 21s
  • Joined 11 Years, 6 Months and 23 Days

Posted 31 January 2005 - 02:18 PM

Only have BP Ultimate and Mobil Synergy 8000 here in Adelaide. I've never noticed any difference in performance. Recently I've started to notice that sometimes the Mobil Synergy 8000 will be 1 or 2 c/L more expensive though. Usually BP Ultimate is about 9-10 c/L more than regular ULP whereas Mobil Synergy 8000 is about 10-11 c/L more than regular ULP. This does vary though.
If speeding was truly dangerous, I'd be dead!

FOR SALE: 2008 FG XR6 Turbo

#8 Guest_jteale_*

Guest_jteale_*
  • Guests
  • Joined 44 Years, 7 Months

Posted 31 January 2005 - 04:48 PM

I have recently converted to Vortex 98 (last 3 months), after using both Optimax and Ultimate ... and have found it to be more consistent in quality compared to Shell and BP, Shells quality has dropped in Sydney since the 4c Coles dscount and the Ultimate ranges in quality from servo to servo ... just my observations ...

Vortex 98 consistently provides me with the best results at the moment, but I believe it is only available from a limited number of Caltex servos at the moment.

Cheers, Jason.

#9 OFFLINE   tupperware

tupperware

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
    • Time Online: 53s
  • Joined 11 Years, 7 Months and 5 Days

Posted 31 January 2005 - 05:40 PM

I have recently converted to Vortex 98 (last 3 months), after using both Optimax and Ultimate ... and have found it to be more consistent in quality

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds right as there is a Caltex Refinery in Kurnell, though Shell also has local one at Clyde, but that may be due to 4cpl economics

#10 OFFLINE   ms700

ms700

• Elephantitis
  • 10,757 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 6 Months and 1 Day

Posted 31 January 2005 - 07:18 PM

I use Ultimate 98 in all of my cars, as that is what is recommended by my dyno guy. Didn't notice much difference, i was previously using Optimax. My dyno guy also said most race boats use Ultimate....

FYI I was speaking to my engine builder, he recently engine dyno'd a 378 Cleveland, had Optimax in it, swapped over to Mobil Synergy 8000, picked up 30hp..... We aren't fortunate enough here in ACT to have Synergy. :ermm:

if your dyno operator still reads in hp, tell him to stop measuring doodle sizes, and update to kw

Still repping the skinny rods!

#11 OFFLINE   darthy

darthy

• Inactive Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
    • :
  • Joined 9 Years, 10 Months and 14 Days

Posted 02 February 2005 - 07:06 PM

I am also a fan of Mobil 8000.
Good things come from purple nozzles.

#12 OFFLINE   Adam

Adam

Here since the start...

• Moderating Team
  • 12,365 posts
    • Time Online: 110d 9h 17m 57s
  • Joined 11 Years, 3 Months and 5 Days
Garage View Garage
Donator

Contributor

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:13 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I found the exact same thing!

Posted Image

#13 ONLINE   macka'sxr6t

macka'sxr6t

• Inactive Members
  • 1,869 posts
    • :
  • Joined 10 Years, 2 Months and 5 Days

Posted 04 February 2005 - 07:12 PM

If you've modded your car with piggyback or custom edit pick a fuel and get your car tuned to it and stick with it. If your car is standard does'nt really matter. Although you will find, one will give you better economy.

BP Ultimate is the only 98 fuel available where I Live so I have my car tuned using it.

I tried to run Mobil Synergy just to see what would happen. Car pinged like crazy even under light load. Changed back to BP pinging was gone.

These are from my experiences.

macka
My ute's now gone to a new home

#14 OFFLINE   jetute

jetute

• Donating Members
  • 5,700 posts
    • Time Online: 1d 6h 31m 23s
  • Joined 10 Years, 6 Months

Posted 04 February 2005 - 08:26 PM

I use to use optimax... however changed to ultimate as capa recommend that ultimate should be run with the edit :ermm:
BA MK11 XR6T SEDAN T56(mandarin)

BF MK11 XR6T UTE ZF (neo) rapid cooler, rapid hot side piping, rapid cold side piping, rapid under headlight cai, k&n pod filter, 60lb siemens injectors, highflow cat, 12lb actuator, new larger turbo housing flap thingie, bosch fuel pump, surge tank, capa flash tuner and a wog tune

#15 OFFLINE   theeone

theeone

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
    • Time Online: 6m 51s
  • Joined 11 Years, 2 Months and 14 Days

Posted 04 February 2005 - 10:05 PM

Cant say with My BA, but with my AU XR8 the thing definitely got better fuel economy, both caning and cruising.

Still running this one on Normal unleaded until I can get some numbers done for a comparo.

Whoops!! Forgot to add the important bit, I used only Shell Optimax in the AU, tried Ultimate, Synergy and Vortex, not really sure if there was any performance differance but definitely better economy with the Optimax!

Edited by theeone, 04 February 2005 - 10:08 PM.

2004 BA XR8 UTE

"I have more torque than your Honda in my wheel nuts!!"

DOOF, just say NO!

#16 OFFLINE   rex13bt

rex13bt

• Inactive Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
    • Time Online: 58m 19s
  • Joined 10 Years, 6 Months and 29 Days

Posted 06 February 2005 - 06:58 PM

Basically there are two types of 98 Octane fuels on the market, high aromatic and low aromatic. In high aromatic fuels the octane is raised by adding benzene derivatives such as Toluene. Low aromatic fuels are produced by refining the fuel to a higher degree so these types of octane boosters are not required. These fuels contain more aliphatic compounds.

Optimax is a high aromatic fuel and BP ultimate is a low aromatic fuel. These fuels behave very differently during the combustion process. Aromatic compounds take longer to burn and tend not to completely burn during the combustion process. This is why you can see soot on the rear of you car when using high aromatic fuels.

#17 OFFLINE   maximum_velocity

maximum_velocity

Lemming No #5

• Inactive Members
  • 2,220 posts
    • :
  • Joined 9 Years, 8 Months and 8 Days

Posted 06 February 2005 - 07:29 PM

Well since the discontinuation of leaded fuels and their replacements throughout servos in the past few months I have had no choice but to use a high octane fuel. I started off using synergy 8000 then switched to optimax but now have gone back to synergy. Ultimate tends to be the fuel everyone talks highly of so I am going to give that a shot next time I need to fill up.
By the way I would say synergy tends to be the better fuel. :spoton:
Jarrod..

2005 BA mk11 Velocity Xr6 Turbo, 6sp Manual, Sunroof

.......Formally V8_FRD

#18 OFFLINE   darthy

darthy

• Inactive Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
    • :
  • Joined 9 Years, 10 Months and 14 Days

Posted 06 February 2005 - 08:00 PM

I guess its also a matter of location. There are no Ultimate nozzles near my house or on my way to work, so I would have to go out of my way pretty considerably to use it.

8000 on the other hand is 5 mins away :D

#19 OFFLINE   tupperware

tupperware

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
    • Time Online: 53s
  • Joined 11 Years, 7 Months and 5 Days

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:41 PM

Basically there are two types of 98 Octane fuels on the market, high aromatic and low aromatic.  In high aromatic fuels the octane is raised by adding benzene derivatives such as Toluene.  Low aromatic fuels are produced by refining the fuel to a higher degree so these types of octane boosters are not required.  These fuels contain more aliphatic compounds.

Optimax is a high aromatic fuel and BP ultimate is a low aromatic fuel.  These fuels behave very differently during the combustion process.  Aromatic compounds take longer to burn and tend not to completely burn during the combustion process.  This is why you can see soot on the rear of you car when using high aromatic fuels.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:spoton: Give that man a cigar

#20 OFFLINE   ktford

ktford

FORD FORD FORD

• Donating Members
  • 10,447 posts
    • Time Online: 8h 49m 15s
  • Joined 11 Years, 4 Months and 15 Days

Posted 07 February 2005 - 10:51 AM

We are be only a few weeks away from having the Caltex 98
Scotty