Engine Oil Leak

Mr66

• Member For: 19y 2m 27d

Would anyone have any knowledge of any TSB's in relation to an oil leak from the cross bolts through the sump into the main caps?

Have retightened mine, (rear RH), but continues to leak.

Anyone with any workshop manual, do these bolts have any form of seal?

Won't go pulling it out for a look until I can get the correct torque to retighten, expect to be draining 1/2 the sump by removing the bolt...

Useless dealer blamed the leak on the rocker cover gasket, and supposedly replaced that - but didn't, do they think we're all F idiots... Not a bad scam in the end, bill ford for a warranty repair that they never even do. Lying, cheating b@stards!

Thanks

Mr66

• Member For: 19y 11m 11d

Not sure what you really mean mr66, from the pic I think you talking about the bolts holding your auto in. You can tighten these up as much as you like and it wont fix the leak, you could take one of these out and it wont leak. From the pic it looks like its running down the block and if its not from the rocker cover try your sump bolts(all the overhead ones) , dont overtighten them though. Hope this helps

:spoton:

Shane.

• Weird Member
  • Member For: 21y 1m 25d

He means these bolts, which dont seem to have any gasket or O ring just loctite goop.

Note engine block is shown upside down in the diagram.

You can see the bolts more clearly on the pic of Goldmembers donk. :spoton:

post-543-1106778083_thumb.jpg

post-543-1106778462_thumb.jpg

• Member For: 19y 11m 11d
He means these bolts, which dont seem to have any gasket or O ring just loctite goop.

Note engine block is shown upside down in the diagram.

You can see the bolts more clearly on the pic of Goldmembers donk. :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That makes it bit more sense, I was only going of the pic and what it looked like to me. I have heard of the rear crank seals leaking as well. :spoton:

Shane.

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 1m 14d

Mine is leaking in the same spot, but not as bad. Ford will be checking it out in a couple of weeks as they cleaned the engine last time.

I think it is coming from the turbo and making its way to the bottom bellhousing.

• Member For: 19y 2m 27d

It is definately coming from the cross bolt, can see the stream coming over the lip in the sump casting, then runs rearwards. Dont want to know about main seal leaks, though I'm sure that'll be soon on the shopping list!

Dealer said this morning they may put some sealant under the bolt head, not sure if they did, I'll do it myself anyway.

That pic I took was how I bought it @ 9900km.

Have since changed oil, now it is a clean leak!

Thanks YCL for the pics from the manual.

• Member For: 20y 2m 8d

Mr66

Mine was also leaking. I unscrewed the bolt about half way and clean all the oil of it. I used the spray on brake cleaner. I then bought some Silicon Sealer ( from Supercheap ). Put heaps around the thread then tightened the bolt. All Fixed!!!

Cheers

AM