Running In

Mondie

How did you run in your car? Are you having trouble?  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest harasn
  • Guests

I always found when I worked in a dealership that our own cars that were driven hard but not thrashed always were faster cars. They used more fuel to but!

As for the running in procedure we use, here goes.

For the first 500kms were dont use 5th in a manual. All accels are done in fouth gear in a manual unless the revs would be to high.Autos are not allowed to kick down when accelerating.

Up to 250kms we accel at half throttle to 80kmh, coast to 35 then half throttle to 80 again. A stop from 80 every 2.5kms. Very slow and boring!

250 - 500kms we accel at full throttle to 95kmh, coast to 50 then full throttle to 95 again. A stop from 95 every 5kms. Still very slow and boring!!

500 - 650kms we cruise at 95kmh with a slow down to 60kmh every 10kms

650 - 900kms we full throttle to 110kmh, coast to 65 then full throttle to 110 again. Use the brakes to slow down to 80 every 10kms

900 - 1050kms we cruise at 110kmh with a slow down to 80kmh every 10kms

1050 - 1300kms we full throttle to 130kmh, coast to 95kmh then full throttle back to 130 again. Use the brakes to slow down to 100kms every 10kms

1300 - 1500kms we cruise at 130 with a slow down to 100kmh every 10kms.

that's it. Can be fun depending what car your driving but the difference in the car from start to finish is huge.

I dont recomemd you try this procedure on public roads as its to dangerous and you would end up having someone running into you!!!

• Member For: 21y 3m 22d

It makes sense...

My salesman said, drive it like you hate it.

I have seen people run in bikes this way and they usually end up with quick machines. Don't know how long they last though.

I think a variation on harasn's schedule would be the go. Get out there and spend the day doing the variable load and revs thing on a country road. Sounds like fun. It was in August last when I ran in a Ducati. Then for the first 200 klms I didn't rev over 5 grand. The next 400 not over seven, then for the next 600 not over nine (no point really it ends power wise at nine).

But I would go west, and rev it as often as I could just nudging the rev limit I was up to kilometre wise for a second then coasting back to the speed limit to have another go when the opportunity presented itself.

The early stuff was done in the lower gears, 2nd, 3rd and 4rth out of 6.

• Member For: 21y 5m 18d

A friend of mine who runs in his rally engines always told me the best way to get a quick car that would easily hold up to the punishment of a few rounds was to vary the rev range ALL OVER, from the word go.

Only things he said to make sure of:

1 - that the engine was warm when you revved it.

2 - That you don't hold revs anywhere for long times; and

3 - Don't rev the guts out of it TOO often, ie bouncing off the rev-limiter every time you drive it. Do it occasionally.

Apparently doing that seats rings in properly or something like that (I'm no mechanic).

He believes it's the best way to get a quick, reliable car.

Makes sense - My EL XR6 was run in by the guy who owned it before me driving 1500km on the highway from Canberra-Melbourne-Canberra. I found this out after I'd bought it and was wondering why it didn't go quite as well as some EL XR6s - this would explain it.

My XR6T has now got 1500km on it.

I drive most of the time under 4000, and never over 2500-3000 when warming up.

I give it a squirt every now and then once it's warm, up to about 5700.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

There are roughly 2 weeks until I pick up the Turbo. How have you all run you cars in? Are there any good tricks when running it in? I heard not to glaze the bore? Any other information would be useful.

Thanks

Guest esky
  • Guests
There are roughly 2 weeks until I pick up the Turbo. How have you all run you cars in? Are there any good tricks when running it in? I heard not to glaze the bore? Any other information would be useful.

Thanks

Do a search on here and you should find all the info you need.

Or drop it by my place for a few weeks. :blush::blush:

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 19d

pick me pick me ...I'll run it in for you.

Mainly, just vary engine speed and road speed, don't labour the engine, don't use max revs for a couple of thousand kms. And remember it's not just the engine so gentle on the brakes at first, and no really hard accelleration which loads up the gearbox and diff.

I like to take my new cars for a nice long drive as soon as possible - somewhere like the coast road south of Sydney is good 'cos you have differing speed zones which automatically have you doing the varying road speed bit. With an auto you need to manually change back as you slow down so you get the engine to bed in under compression as well - it's all good for longevity. Also with an auto it is good to hold a lower gear sometimes just to get the engine into a different rev range - autos tend to limit the rev range the engine operates in so you have to do it yourself.

After 2000km (and first oil and filter change) you can frequently give it short blasts to max revs if you like, but not sustained high revs until after 5000km. After 5000 she'll be loose enough and ready for anything you want to give it.

You'll get hundreds of opinions and many just say flog it right from the start. IMO these are people who don't keep their cars for long and don't have to pay for the engine rebuild when it needs doing. My motors always go at least 300,000km before being touched so, as the car salesman said, "trust me".

• The Noble Leader
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 5m 17d

I tried not to give mine up to 2000kms.. but temptation gave in a few times.. drive pretty much normal now and love the power on tap.