Running In

Mondie

How did you run in your car? Are you having trouble?  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Firm Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 19d
The turbo does use a higher grade of oil than the Barra 182.

Yep, l have heard this also. Main reason was to allow Ford to stretch out service intervals to 15000km, as for the standard barra donk.

Dont know if its Mobil1 or some other synthetic oil, but l bet its around $50 for an oil change (plus filter)

• SLOJAM, Gone but not forgotten
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 9d

a quick yahoo serach found this article which does mention the heavier duty oil for the turbo.

The compression ratio is 8.7:1, down from the 9.7:1 of the standard in-line six, and a heavier duty lubricating oil is used in the engine.

http://www.ford.com.au/motorshow/sydney200...asp?release=xr6

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 21y 6m 8d

Edit: Merged here.

Hey guys, I was just wondering if any of you did anything special when running in your cars (apart from not thrasing it!)? Also do you think it would make a difference if you used optimax instead of unleaded or vice versa during this period? Apparently a car is never REALLY run in till about 10 000km, but babying it all the time doesn't help either. Thanks.

Edited by Dagabond

• Member For: 21y 4m 17d

As long as you vary the revs, and not load the motor up to much (before a couple of thousand k's) or rev the motor right out you'll be fine.

Try to avoid long expressway drives (sitting at a steady rpm), or extended idling (this is normal for any new motor, car, boat or Jetski)

I highly recommend Premium Unleaded at all time if you can; 1, afford it, and 2 find it all the time

• The Noble Leader
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 6m 8d

Ive read that regular Unleaded can damage your car..Is this true? and should you use Premium everytime.

• Flower Power
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 10d
Ive read that regular Unleaded can damage your car..Is this true? and should you use Premium everytime.

Doesn't the XR6T have a requirment of 95RON PULP to run effiently?

I think I read that somewhere.

Also the fact that petrol such as Shell Optimax and BP Ultimate do not have any ethanol in the mix. Other lower range servo's do use ethanol in their fuel. I am not sure about Mobil Synergy 8000 as they do not have a formal statment on their website.

• Member For: 21y 4m 17d

The car is VCT (Variable Cam Timing) so what will happen if you use normal Unleaded is that it will retard the timing...(it has a knock sesnor) it wont damage the car but at the same time you will have a loss of power. If you are really concerned about it talk to Ford... I think it's actually in your Owners Manual... maybe not the description, but at least it states that you can use normal unleaded, or premium

• SLOJAM, Gone but not forgotten
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 9d
CJF077@ Jan 8 2003, 09:52 AM - Ive read that regular Unleaded can damage your car..Is this true? and should you use Premium everytime.

The newfalcon.com.au website - research tools, specs and options, technical, clearly states ULP/PLP as "recommended" fuel for the Turbo but they do not specify RON.

• Member For: 21y 4m 15d

As for running in the car, I was told to just drive the car.

But, I will drive the car without bouncing it off the rev limiter, vary the RPM as much as possible, keep it below about 4500rpm. Once the 3000km service has been done, I figure it's good to use the engine to it's capabilities...

As far as petrol is concerned, yes you can run standard unleaded, but with a loss of power (as mentioned). 95 RON or above is recomended, and I would personally stick to Shell or BP. I think you pay for what you get. And this will help to keep the engine clean as well as giving more performance.

Guest Andrew
  • Guests

The service manager told me that there is no special running-in requirements whatsoever, so I've taken his word for it & driven like I would any other day. Saying that though I haven't been stupid, usually just cruise giving the odd squirt. I've done around 5000 rpm but only but only for an instant. I've always been told that varying your revs (within reason) with a new engine is healthy. About the fuel I 've always used BP Ultimate or Shell Optimax cleaner & a much better burn.