Running In

Mondie

How did you run in your car? Are you having trouble?  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Firm Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 27d

l am due to get my XR6T at the end of this week (fingers crossed) and was wondering what was recommended these days by car manufacturers for running the car in. In the past l think the general rule was to vary your speed between 80-100km/hr for the first 1000km without any full throttle driving.

Is this still necessary these days with the generally tighter tolerances that engines/transmissions are manufactured to? Of the lucky few who have taken delivery, what were you told by your dealer?

• Firm Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 27d
Wasnt told anything Mondie.. The dealer said just go for it..

Oh, l like the sound of that. The last thing l want to do is pussy foot around for the first 1000km. l had a feeling modern cars didnt need the same initial care as they did maybe 25 yrs ago.

So, just how hard does it accelerate? Is it as strong, especially down low, as what everyone says??

• The Noble Leader
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 5m 16d
Wasnt told anything Mondie.. The dealer said just go for it..

Oh, l like the sound of that. The last thing l want to do is pussy foot around for the first 1000km. l had a feeling modern cars didnt need the same initial care as they did maybe 25 yrs ago.

So, just how hard does it accelerate? Is it as strong, especially down low, as what everyone says??

Acceleration is awesome.. just a little pump of the accelerator and the car launches.. Especially over 2000RPM. Just i hate in Sydney traffic you dont even get to go over 2000RPM.

Was also told to drive it as i normally would. :D

• I'm Back!! Thats right, long over due! :)
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 24d

If you want to do a head gasket in under 60-80,000 and f**k the head, by all means throttle the death out of them :)

:huh:

First 10,000 is crutial!!!

This is how I'm going about it. First 2,000kms, you dont have to keep at 80kph, that's crap, you can do over 100, just don't throttle the car to get there, alternate speeds is the most important step otherwise your rings do not inbed in properly and you will be stuck with a lemon.

Oil change!!!! Put something decent in there, not synthetic either, not the "Motorcraft" crap Ford do. Believe it or not, one of the best for the Ford design inline 6cyl design is Magnatec.

next 5,000-7,000, still alternate speeds but give it a bit here and there, you can throttle your car too much but at the same time, if you do not give it a bit now and then, you'll be stuck with a lemon.

Oil Change!!!

Then it's right for Ford's first 15,000 check-up. Drive happily until this landmark. Ford will say "nahh, it's not needed but drain your oil in the first 2-3,000Kms and tell me how black it will be, b**ls**t it doesn't need an oil change until the first 15,000, is that's Fords way of getting you to buy their next release?

<_<

• SLOJAM, Gone but not forgotten
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 18d
Oil change!!!! Put something decent in there, not synthetic either, not the "Motorcraft" crap Ford do. Believe it or not, one of the best for the Ford design inline 6cyl design is Magnatec.

Good quality Synthetic oils out perform any petroleum based oil hands down.

I believe that the oil in the turbo is not the same "crap" used in the standard engine so I suspect it is "just right" for your engine.

• SLOJAM, Gone but not forgotten
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 18d
The turbo does use a higher grade of oil than the Barra 182.

Thanks Superoo, I thought so 'cause I'm sure I read it somehere recently. Thanks for confirming it. :)