Btr Transmission Mod

turbotrana

• Site protagonist
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 6d
You could work this many ways.

I would make a simple circuit board with a few diodes, Resisters and a couple of IC’s.

With this you could work it in any mode you like to have the solenoids modulate or do nothing at all allowing hard harsh shifts.

Some caution would need to be addressed with clutch modulation both on engagement and disengagement by way of engagement of the next gear clutch combination before the previous clutch combination oil decay had taken place.

This would be minimal and I feel with the option to have it “on or off” is a “must” and only use it when required. (Clutch overlap can be advantageous but as long as it’s minimal)

Once the basic board is made you could then incorporate the throttle potentiometer and have it so the 0% throttle position = standard mode and 100% throttle position = No clutch modulation allowing for harsh and direct shifting.

This would then allow a 3 position switch:

Normal

Auto HARD (This would also allow engine braking to still be effective)

HARD HARD

Cost of parts for a simple circuit would be no more than $25.00 and several hours to workout and design the board.

What we as seeing now is the change in mind set from the knuckle dragging Mechanics to some brain work and using what is already fitted and manipulating it to achieve the desired results.

I think people are finally starting to realize the future lies in the management of the existing components on these new vehicles will reward the thinking man without the need to rebuild every damn thing like the old days.

I would stress that people should use the brain and have all these simple mods… but put some brain work in them so the vehicle is still drivable and durable in its normal mode but with the option to turn it into a beast with the flick of a switch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

F6 Tornado, Deano and I being the offical XR6Turbo mod test drivers will be happy to test out your theory once you have made a few proto-types.

Geea. :spoton:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• F6+300+
  • Member For: 19y 5m 10d

geea,

Simple electronics!!!

Problem being is the average electronics engineer has absolutely no idea about transmissions and modulation valves decay orifice load piston orifice or what they even door how to manipulate them.

Then you have the GUN Mechanic and Top number 1 Tuner who has no idea about the electronics and how to manipulate and manage them.

The thing with the electronic engine and transmission control is it’s a variable not a fixed factor.

Consider the engine injector?

Old days it was driven by the Cam and as such fixed displacement. The Fix was BIGGER injectors

Today we can manipulate it by way of timing, duration and variation in actual injections per stroke.

Consider we start the injection timing at a certain degrees at engine idle and alter that at 1000’ RPM and then again at 2000 rpm and so on mmm not possible with old designing.

Consider we wish to inject a small quantity of fuel for pre-burn, over burn or even after burn? We can in fact deliver several injections of fuel with many varying volumes over and given rotation of a given cycle at many varying degrees.

The transmission in this case is also manageable and depending on the design the solenoids they can be controlled by way of varying milliamps to control the speed at which they modulate to engagement and disengagement the clutches.

By this you would dump reverse clutch instantly when selecting a forward gear yet when changing up a gear we wish for overlap to obtain a smooth shift hence we modulate the disengagement on the outgoing gear clutch pack by way of oil decay and intern modulate the incoming gear clutch pack in the opposite manner and modulate its engagement.

Now to alter this in the old days we would have some external adjustment but in effect its basically limited to the internal workings and as such we need to disassemble, cut, grind, weld, machine, modify as required assemble and test.

Oops still no good mmm strip and try again until we get it right (This is where the good tuner comes in as he has done it before and knows the tricks)

Now all we need to do is manipulate the electronics to do whatever we desire and don’t need to strip the box at all to do this as these solenoids become a huge variable not a fixed factor.

Send me some transmission circuit’s drawings and ill design you a simple board.

Keeping in mind that most “NEW” management firmware is "smart" and will expect a varying resistance in any given circuit at any given time and as such can identify a solenoid that is bypassed as its state should change when desired by the ECM indicating to the ECM its presence and correct state at any given time, hence a simple solenoid bypass on a later Vehicle could/will need more than just a resister to fool the ECM.

But you get the picture as its all possible without the pain and cost.

:spoton:

• Member For: 21y 19d

Hey lets not complicate things at this stage. This is a very simple mod for the EA to AU. And it should (hopefully)also be easy for the new BA Visteon computer . However it certainly needs someone to try it out. And also if you have something like the exede with a programable output on it you can set up some relays so that it switches on at a certain kpa/rpm, and even for someone like me who is essentially circuitry illiterate it is all quite easy to setup. But I ended up leaving the hard shifting on as it doesn't bother me.

The principle of disconnecting the S3 and S4 works on all BTR trans. Its fooling the computer which is usually the tricky bit into thinking all is OK.

Now if it works as I say it should :spoton: I think my ass should be kissed by all forum members

• F6+300+
  • Member For: 19y 5m 10d
Hey lets not complicate things at this stage. This is a very simple mod for the EA to AU. And it should (hopefully)also be easy for the new BA Visteon computer . However it certainly needs someone to try it out. And also if you have something like the exede with a programable output on it you can set up some relays so that it switches on at a certain kpa/rpm, and even for someone like me who is essentially circuitry illiterate it is all quite easy to setup. But I ended up leaving the hard shifting on as it doesn't bother me.

The principle of disconnecting the S3 and S4 works on all BTR trans. Its fooling the computer which is usually the tricky bit into thinking all is OK.

Now if it works as I say it should :w00t2:  I think my ass should be kissed by all forum members

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure I want to kiss your ass :nono:

Nothing complicated about it with the older Tranies but the later ecm's are a tad smarter, but this can be easily overcome.

As for relays????????????? sh*te we are talking 3v to 12v here not 415volts hahahahahah Think small electronics not electrics. :spoton:

• FORD FORD FORD
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 1d

We'll all be watching for the Guinea pig results, but I'll leave the lip service to someone else.

Scotty

As I mentioned, and has been confirmed by the BTR service book, the S3 and S4 control the Front Band, and the Hub Clutch, therefore when disconnected, you lose engine braking. This will also not allow certain kickdown sequences such as 4-2 4-3 and 3-1.

Trana, what is the theory / advantage of this mod, over increasing line pressure from the s5 either mechanically or electronically? Basically you are achiving the same thing, but at the same time impeding the functionality of the trans.

If the "s5 is not used at all", I would interpret this as the trans is always using max line pressure. wouldnt you acheive the same result by disconnecting the s5 from the ECU and still retain engine braking (not that you can on the BA's because it will go into limp mode)

• In Your Face
  • Member For: 21y 1m 9d
Now if it works as I say it should :smilielol:  I think my ass should be kissed by all forum members

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And if doesn't work as you say......l'll be kicking your arse :lol: :lol:

• Member For: 21y 19d

I am not going to go into why this, why not that. Its a little complex and too hard to explain. The mod basics are there. Most hardcore guys will end up using it once they see it works. Re kickdown. This is controlled by the ECU. I have not noticed any problems here. Quite sure it does not affect this at all.

Re: engine braking, you will notice that when you let your foot off the accelerator the trans is braking the engine slightly. This is purposely built into the trans. I personally dont like this however this mod essentially lets the trans freewheel when you coast. This is not an real issue.

Increasing line pressure via the line pressure releif valve has its issues, that's why Nizpro dont do this on their modded trans. And no you cant just disconnect the S5. And maybe with this mod it may not be needed to increase line pressures anyfuther for just say 400rwhp

If this mod allows an extra 200rwhp to be put thru the trans without wrecking the clutches and bands who cares about soft shift quality or engine braking. There are always compromises in a performance car. Heck I drive a 512rwhp Expensive Daewoo turbo on the street with a ceramic clutch and it doesnt phase me. Now with the auto ED with 340rwhp (no intercooler yet and stock engine) its a dream to drive with the modded auto even with its hard shifting. I've tested it over the last few months and so far so good.

Trust me, give this a month and not only will you guys be kissing my ass, you will be licking it. :spoton:

• FORD FORD FORD
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 1d
Trust me, give this a month and not only will you guys be kissing my ass, you will be licking it. :spoton:

I've been hungry in my time, but that's California Dreaming.

Scotty