What type/model diff do I have?

Silverbullet

• Member For: 20y 7m 8d

Hi,

I have seached through out the forum and cannot find the info required for my XR6 N/A.

I would like to know if my diff is a Dana M86 or a Dana M78. Apparently the XR6T comes with a M86 (LSD) and the single spinner XR6N/A comes with M78. My car is optioned up with a LSD....does this mean my diff is the same as the M86??

The ford spec says the diff ratio is 3.45.....or should it be 3.46??

Will the Ford Territory 3.73 gears fit in my N/A?? If so, how would you recalibrate the speedo so it reads accurately with the change. Sorry for all the questions but with all the wealth of experience on this forum I am sure someone will know.

Thanks in advance,

Simon :crybaby:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 1m 12d

Interesting question Simon...

The M78 used to be the standard solid axle, and they never used to change the number just becuase of the Slippery diff.

At a guess I would say the M78 is the solid axle in the Utes and the M86 is the IRS.

Interesting question Simon...

The M78 used to be the standard solid axle, and they never used to change the number just becuase of the Slippery diff.

At a guess I would say the M78 is the solid axle in the Utes and the M86 is the IRS.

Hi Grass,

The only reason I mentioned the M78 is because of a search I did on the forum where a member named "Fordtech" was confident in saying that the XR6 N/A runs the M78.

You may be right with what you have said, thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Simon.

• Member For: 20y 11m 3d

I'd say your diff is the M78. The M86 is only fitted to V8's and the turbo. I think the RTV and the Territory use this diff too. Speedo would be ok with a diff gear change, but apparently the auto does weird things like not changing up a gear at full throttle until it hits the rev limiter and stays there for a little while before it decides to change up. An Edit would be able to fix that though.

I'd say your diff is the M78. The M86 is only fitted to V8's and the turbo. I think the RTV and the Territory use this diff too. Speedo would be ok with a diff gear change, but apparently the auto does weird things like not changing up a gear at full throttle until it hits the rev limiter and stays there for a little while before it decides to change up. An Edit would be able to fix that though.

Thanks Venom XR6,

Do you think the Territory 3.73 gears can be installed in the Dana M78??

Cheers,

Simon