Nsw/act Weekend Cruise

Trumpy

• What's happening?
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 25d

What:A cruise around the beautiful Snowy Mountains of NSW (before they get too snowy...)

When:Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th March. This will be an overnight event.

Details: Countdown...

Meet at the usual Mt Annan shopping centre location at 12:30pm. Directions: From Sydney, take the second Campbelltown exit from Freeway (Narellan Rd). You will need to go under Narellan Rd, before looping around to head west towards Camden and Narellan. Go straight through the first roundabout, at the second one turn left. You will see the Shell servo on your right, and the Carpark is visible from there. I will be there early.

There is an Optimax servo there, so fuel up before we leave.Leave at 1pm for the cruise down the Freeway. Destination: Jindabyne.

Sydney to Jindabyne is around 350 - 400km, and takes around 4 hrs. We will pick up the Canberra people on the way through, expected to be 3:30pm.

*Update* Meeting point for ACT people joining us on the Saturday afternoon will be the Shell service station in Ipswich St Fyshwick. This is just off the Monaro Hwy that we are travelling down. Please be there by 3:30pm at the latest. UBD ref Map 70, D7.

Arrive in Jindabyne around 6pm, settle in to your accomodation (and let the kids run wild if applicable) before we have dinner. If everyone wants to have dinner and drinks together, we will be in the Brumby Bar and Bistro, which is on site at Alpine Gables. Otherwise if people want to do there own thing there are restaurants, pizza places etc.

Sunday 8:30am we meet in the carpark of the Jindabyne shopping centre. For those people driving from Canberra on Sunday this is the first shopping centre on the way in to town, overlooking the lake. We will all park on the bottom tier of the 3 tier parking.

Departure is no later than 9am. Dont be late.

The route takes us into the mountains towards Thredbo. National Parks entry is required, and costs $15 per car (last time I was there - winter 03).

We drive past Thredbo, and then down the other side of the range.

From there, we head through Khancoban, Cabramurra, Kiandra, and towards Adaminaby. We then arrive back at Cooma for a fuel stop before heading home via ACT.

Planned stops will be as follows

Morning break 1- Murray 1 Power Station, just before Khancoban

Morning break 2- Cabramurra

Lunch- Adaminaby

Fuel and Afternoon break- Cooma

Probably have a break at Marulan on the way home for those that wish to stop and stretch the legs before the last stint home.

Last time I completed this loop it was around 300km, but we can expect it to take 4-5 hours to complete due to the nature of the terrain.

I would expect to be back in Cooma by 2pm, for the 4 Hr drive back home. ETA Canberra 3pm

ETA Sydney 6pm

Sunday involves 9+ hours of driving.

This will be a big day. There is a lot of driving to be done to cover this route. I would like to ensure that this is what everyone expects. If you are not used to covering these sorts of distances, please consider carefully if this weekend is right for you.

Notes:

1. ACT People.

I have not included you specifically in the above details, because you will have the option of whether you want to attend Saturday, or simply meet us in Jindabyne on the Sunday morning for the road loop. It only takes 2 hours from ACT to Jindabyne, so simply let me know if you want to meet us on the Saturday afternoon as we drive through the ACT, and join us for dinner and drinks etc on the Saturday, or meet us Sunday morning.

2. Fuel

Everyone will need to fuel in Jindabyne, as there is not much around the back of the mountains until we get to Adaminaby. It is only 300Km anyway, so we will all make it from Jindabyne around to Cooma to refuel for the trip home.

If anyone has a modified T, I dont think Jindabyne has 98 octane, only standard premium, so bring some octane booster if required by your tuning.

3. Accomodation

I am not going to book people in to accomodation, as I dont have the time, nor do I wish to be burdened with money problems if people dont show.

I will provide a list of possible accomodation, phone numbers, and let the individual organise their own. Its not that hard, as Jindabyne is built on these casual stay places (its their livelihood, especially in winter).

There is a wide range available, from a bunkbed in a lodge through to a luxury resort. You can choose what you like, and what you can afford.

Hope everyone understands. :smilielol:

*edit*

I have a bit of info regarding accomodation.

At this point I have info on 3 different places, that are all close by (on opposite corners of the same roundabout).

Jindabyne holiday park is a caravan park with on-site vans etc.

Alpine Gables is across the road, it is a nice place (I have stayed there before in winter) that has a restaurant / bar as part of the complex.

Horizon's resort is probably the flashest place in Jindabyne for those that prefer a bit of luxury.

These are all very close to the centre of town and are right on the lake.

I can find info on other lodges etc if needed, but they may not be as close as these 3 venues.

4. UHF Radios

There is not a lot of mobile coverage around the back of the ranges. I will have my mobile number on the map, as well as numbers for other cars in the group. UHF is also a wise item to carry, so the group can be notified if anything unforseen happens.

ie flat tyre, kids car sick, red car cant keep up to group etc etc.

That way we can notify anyone ahead of the stoppage to pull over and wait where appropriate.

Lets try and keep the group together for a change.

UHFs are reasonably cheap, and we use them on every drive now. Good investment.

So:Get the grass mown first thing Saturday morning, get in the car, and lets go driving :smilielol:

Who's coming

Trumpy

ducatijb+1

ms700+1 (Late on Saturday)

Falchoon (Sunday)

cramorr+1

Cro

Whitetee+1

KrasH (Sunday)

JJ_Phantom

Zathris (Sunday)

PaulM

saleen1+1

cul08r+2

Phantomxr6+4

bcl+1

xr6ikness+family

XRSEX

Geeseman+1

Turbo6man+1

YCL (Sunday)

RJS

Ken24T + SWMBO

Honest Gaza +Family

WhiteXR6T

TwinXRs+1

NYOPA+1

Dankman

Totals: 27 Cars, at least 40 people :3gears:

And on the maybe list:

cvanxr

Skeets+1

sash

Edited by Trumpy

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Gandalf the Grey, Maiar of Manwë and Varda, Team HgAg/Sneaky
  • Member For: 20y 8m 28d

Sounds Great ... I'm (+SWMBO) a possible at this stage, will confirm later. :smilielol:

hmmmm, Jindy Bowls Club, eh? :3gears: ... might just bring my creams along ... :smilielol:

• Just sit back and enjoy the ride...!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 5d

Trumpy,

Put me down as a "maybe". Depends on my country-hopping schedule, since the PTB's haven't agreed on that yet.....

• What's happening?
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 25d

I thought it may have been presumptuous to add your name without a reply.

But I knew you'd be there.