HELP! Car breakdown and popping after traction loss

rcklssrabbit

• Member For: 6y 7m 13d

So I've tried just about everything and scoured the forums but can't find a resolution to the problem I'm having. Car is an 04 XR6 turbo Ba 4 speed auto.  Upgraded Intercooler and piping,  throttle body relocation,  GFB boost Controller, turbosmart actuator, shift kit, Tuned to 15psi but have set boost to 11 through controller,  doesn't make a difference either way.  Has new plugs,  intake manifold gasket,  all leaks checked,  throttle body replaced as it was throwing codes. Tried standard boost solenoid too and cleaned it,  bypassed straight from turbo to actuator- same problem.  Nothing I do seems to change it.  New fuel filter,  changed plug gaps nothing makes a difference. Car feels sluggish to get moving but comes on boost okay and will hold whatever boost it's set at in a straight line,  but if I get right up it and it loses traction (rarely ever and only ever up a hill)   it dies in the ass, usually pops and has a breakdown for 30 seconds or so.  What is causing it and why is it such a slug.  Shouldn't be such an effort to break traction on 11-14psi, even on stockies. Won't even stall up on the spot,  barely even in the wet sometimes.  Traction is permanently turned off through the tune and fry's up fine cutting hoops so don't imagine that's the issue. WTF is wrong with it,  starting to drive me insane.  

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

take it back to the tuner and show them the symptoms. They'll probably be able to fix it, if they can tune a falcon...

When it's running right

I would except it's a good 3 hours away in Sydney somewhere and no idea where it was done. Throwing an O2 sensor code too, so gonna replace that tomorrow and borrow some coilpacks of a mates car, but I feel like its a bigger issue than that. Don't understand why it's so gutless

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 2d

Where do you start? Regap plugs, by all means put a new set of FORD coils in it, a blocked cat, wastegate stuck open, etc... What code dose the o2 sensor throw? to rich or to lean? air filter blocked? Do the basics first.

• Like 1

Mate I think you're on the money. Did coil packs and o2 sensor today,  made no difference.  Was thinking cat so temp tested it (factory cat still) was red hot and twin pipes coming out of it were cold.  Found an xforce system for sale from the turbo back dump pipe and all with 4" hi flo cat to 2.5" twin setup so snatched it up.  Stripped exhaust back ready to bolt on and found wastegate wasn't shut,  was loose as anything could almost fit my finger under it that's how bad it was, so pulled the manifold and turbo off, adjusted it so it's shut nice and tight now, cleaned everything up fixed an oil return leak while I was at it.  Will post results tomorrow,  it's not going to know itself, should get up and go now. Also what would you recommend gapping the plugs too on 15psi? 

Edited by rcklssrabbit

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 3m 10d

.7 plug gap but you are going to hit more problems with overboost with that exhaust. Ported turbo and retune will be needed.

If it killed the cat there is a problem with the tune anyway or either it had a previous missfire for quite a while before being fixed.

Pretty sure 0.7 is what I gapped them at , can't remember but will double check.  Turbo is already ported I believe and I will be getting on the dyno soon, once all the issues are fixed. It was running rough for a while and previous owner has replaced coils so it's had a miss at some point, probably for a while.  I'm thinking the reason is more that it's a factory cat with 200xxx kms with 2+ times the boost from factory lol