Odd, single cylinder misfire only at lowest idle

Lunchietey

• Member For: 13y 7m 25d

So this suddenly got worse. Idle fuel consumption went up to 2.5-3l HR and idle got really bad. Also came with a rushing air sound.

Seems after all the head scratching, it looks like the rather common cylinder 1 inlet manifold gasket leak. Grabbed a gasket today and will try and get it done tomorrow :)

• Like 1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

Did you spray the region to confirm. It temporally seals the leak so you can determine exactly where it's coming from.  

Good luck with the bolts on No 6

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1d

You can spray it with 'start ya bastard' with it idling which will show where it's sucking air (it will run better/worse when hit the air leak) Don't try & change it with a hot engine or we'll hear you squelling in pain from here!

• Member For: 13y 7m 25d

I have a fairly comprehensive tool kit. Apart from lots of grazes I didn't have too much trouble with almost any of them. The #6 bottom bolt wasn't really all that hard. I used a combination of a 1/4 socket with a small extension to crack it and then a ratchet spanner for the rest. I have multiple extensions with doubles of some short sizes to be able to make a socket extension of just about any length and angle. As well as thumb wrenches etc and ratchet spanners blah blah blah. No cheap sh*t either makes a big difference.

Not comfortable for most bolts and my hands have seen better days but not all that bad.

I AM a little concerned it will be hard to put back together though hahaha. This bloody Perth weather is halting progress until mid week though. Been 20-35mm of rain a day for 4 days straight and 100k gusts.

Yes I sprayed to confirm. It was only a minor problem before which didn't seem to show up EXCEPT for the slightly rough idle. A quick spray around showed nothing. Only symptom I could find was the rear plug being a bit darker so I incorrectly assumed it was a fuel issue.

Once a bigger piece of gasket let go and it ran like sh*t, the spray technique picked it up easily.

Once I started pulling the intake etc apart, I just thought F**K IT! May as well just start doing the conversion now. Pretty easy to do oil lines, replace heater pipe with turbo heater pipe (with the water offtake) and also the oil switch tee etc with the manifold off. Would be a bit stupid to mess around with it and then probably have to take it off again anyway!

Oh well she won't be running for a few weeks now haha.

I do appreciate all of the suggestions by the way :ok:

Edited by Lunchietey

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d

Make some short guide bolts for the top bolts on cyl 2 and 4. Allows you to place the gasket in situ and then hang the manifold while all the bolts go in.

22nm on the bolts with threadlock and a thin smear of RTV on the gasket and she'll be apples.

• Like 1