ZF 6spd transmission issue

Tcarver

• Member For: 7y 6m 16d

Hi guys I have a BF XR6T that has done 230000km and the transmission is not operating correctly.

When it is cold it will try to go into reverse and drive then I get the ABS, Park brake and Traction control lights flashing on the dash then speedo stops working also. When this is at its worst it will also throw the check engine light up.

This is sorted by turning ignition off then back on which seems to get rid of lights and speedo works again.

This is an intermitant problem and once this clears everything runs fine.

We have tried a service which included a new trans pan and filter and filled with the ZF fluid from FORD which  has made it better but still not 100%.

ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 21d

After checking coils as mentioned above (check them for cracks). Battery terminals should be checked too.

For me it was only doing it when I booted it but it started happening more often and with less acceleration. I had condemned the box too - I would boot it and revs would spike to 5-6k like the thing had engaged neutral...then ABS/TC/handbrake light would flash and speedo drop out.

Edited by skidxr6t
  • Like 1

• Member For: 10y 2m 17d

You need to be careful if the coils are going and they get to the point where they are cutting out for a millisecond the zf will automatically go into neutral because it thinks the cars been turned off and then when it refires it slams it back into gear and will break input shafts

• Like 1

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 23d

How I check coils is to take the rubber boot off & look in where the coil spring goes , if you see grey / white dust (even the slightest bit ) in the hole then you KNOW the coil is RS . They hate water so if you see corrosion in the plug hole & on coil boot give them a new home in the bin (if you have to wash motor & don't want to remove cover to get water out  then just buy new coils the next day ) The coils in this reguard are fragile & don't expect them to last the life of the vehicle. Only buy genuine ford ,they are the best quality you can get - buy cheap aftermarket & expect to change them soon. You can buy them cheaper on fleabay.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...