Google Chromecast

Pixy Angel

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 25d

It has so much potential but just a big fck around with programs that won't either stream multichannel or you need a different format or wait for it.... Pay more for every fcking app you want to try to get it working.

I found there was no single app that did it all so it now collects dust until I hear that there is one sorted!

Tried- Plex (you have to pay a ridiculous amount now), realplayer, videostream, blah blah and xbmc which is the closest I got to something that I would use but it's easier to just plug a laptop into the receiver or tv and use xbmc!

The worst thing is that this was just for my loungeroom, I would never use that POS in my HT room!!!

It would be better used to stick it up your ass and get an xray taken of it for your screen saver...

• Like 2

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 3d

Did you try Videostream - chrome addin/app that lets you play any files on your network that you can play on your PC?

(haven't tried it yet myself - just wondering)

• Member For: 10y 4m 9d

On the windows side I use a program called ps3 media server which transcodes on the fly thus making pretty much any file playable. Plex is another good one. A media server with on the fly transcoding is essential. The windows media server does not cut it

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 25d

I've had PMS for years but like the other 100 programs I have got pushed to the back. I believe a very good PC (or laptop in my case) is essential for the number crunching on the fly and also the fastest internal network you can get, obviously ethernet is preferred but if wireless I've found 5G signal speed to be essential from atleast the PC to router.

It's all fcken sh*t atm that's why I just plug in the laptop to receiver or go downstairs to the home theatre where my Arcam plays anything from a hdd plugged in but tbh a htpc setup with decent internals would be best as it's virtually guaranteed to either have a program or updates idefinately and it's all fcking free says the Pirate! Argh me hardies....

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 4d

It would be better used to stick it up your ass and get an xray taken of it for your screen saver...

Pics?

Spectacular review. :clap:

Have not used one but I'm guessing it's essentially just an interface and can't process/decode video as such?

I've got a WD Live TV media player and it has a youtube app on it (among countless others) which you can sync with your phone and send video to the media player etc. That's the only feature I think that I'd use on the chromecast so have no need for it.

Think the WD only cost me around $100 which comparatively is a bargain considering it's so much more capable.

• Member For: 10y 4m 9d

Well I've found the chromecast alot better than the PlayStation for network streaming.

But BJC is right ultimately my i7 windows tablet is the simplest solution. Proper network access to my other pc's and file compatibility is a non issue. Hdmi output. Bluetooth keyboard with track pad. Simple as

Edited by barnz
  • Like 1

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 22d

OK, so all I really want to do is watch you tube vids on my TV - is chromecast a good idea?

I don't use a PC, I rarely look at my laptop, I can do everything generally form my phone or iPad. Should I just get apple TV and use the iPad or chromecast for my phone?