Swapping Ecus

luke187

• Member For: 10y 3m 21d

What issues are there when swapping ecus from another car? Is it just a case of swapping the ecus and getting ford to re-program it, as is done with the stereo, or is it more complex / I will lose functions on the car like smartshield or whatever its called now? Also will doing this write a default map to the ecu dropping the tune that's currently on it?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 19d

Pretty sure u lose the aircon and all the multi function stuff and prob heaps of other stuff, trip computer and the like id imagine. I think ppl that have looked into it have found it not worthwhile unless making a super drag weapon

Is that swapping to an aftermarket ecu though? I just meant getting an ECU from one ba and running it in another. Im swapping a driveline from a stat writeoff and was hoping to swap the ecu from the engine in my car.

No, its a little confusing so that's why I didnt explain what im doing. In short im swapping a ba xr6 turbo driveline into a ba futura. The xr6 engine has id1000s on it so I wanted to keep the ecu with the engine. I'm getting a copy of vcm suite so can transfer the tunes through there, but I was hoping to get the car up and going before forking out the $900 for it.

If its just a matter of getting it to ford to "reprogram" it to clear smartshield issues or whatever else comes about from an ecu swap, I'll do that as the it needs to go to ford anyway as I swapped a premium icc in and need the stereo security code cleared.

• Member For: 17y 10m 1d

have you spoken to the dealer about programming and what you need?

Do you have the donor car?

just swaping from one car to another, you may end up needing things like abs module, ignition and keys, icc etc

I actually have 2 donor cars at the moment - one gold and one green. Originally I was just going to reshell the gold car with my futura swapping dash and wiring forward, diff, entire suspension (has bilsteins) and low ks, brakes, interior, exhaust etc - the whole shebang. Its also being converting to a manual so that's why the loom was going over, and since the gold one iis a mk2 id gain traction control and the most exiciting thing of all - auto headlights.

Was just about to take the car off the road to go ahead with it when a much better car popped up with a lot of good gear on it, so im using the engine & bolt-ons, gearbox & diff from that now. Instead of using the ecu from the gold car in the swap, I was hoping I could use the green one that's suited to the "new" engine. Figured if they just need to reporgram it to accept the new ecu that's fine since I already have to take it to them to clear the security code error after swapping to a premium icc.. I'll call a dealer or 2 on monday, like I said if its going to be too complicated I'll just have to buy vcm suite first and transfer the tune over that way.