Syntrans Is Good Oil

Roley94

• Member For: 11y 1m 14d

After replacing my zf with another one after I fully fried 4th I decided to pull the old one apart to see what was going on.

This zf had been running syntrans for over a year and it copped a lot of abuse. Everything looked perfect, all the clutches except e clutches looked perfect with plenty of meat on them. I've heard a lot of people saying any oil other than genuine will glaze the clutches, but there was no sign of glazing on any of the clutches or steels at all.

Maybe I was lucky but I believe syntrans is perfectly suitable for the zf.

Should also ad that 4th gear was slipping before using syntrans and was much better after switching to syntrans

Edited by Roley94

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m

I am extremely happy with the Syntrans in my ZF.

IMHO the scare mongering in the early days has swayed peoples opinions towards running non LF6 oils.

There are literally thousands of boxes around the globe running non genuine oils with no issue.

I found the refill procedure to be very finicky and time consuming and I can see why a shop that is charging by the hour could not spend the time I did getting the level correct, hence cars go in with a correct level have and oil change to non gen fluid,level is not correct and causes issues and the obvious point of blame is the oil.

To put it in context, my box had a snatchy 2-1 downshift when I bought the car. I checked the level and found it was approx 300ml low(mechatronics connector sleeve was weeping). Topped it up and the issue disappeared.

300ml on a fluid capacity of 8lts is SFA (aprox 3.75%) and that was sufficient to cause an issue.

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 23d

We use ALOT of syntrans, nulon and ulx110 but that's another story lol

0P8Jd1i.jpg

Also this was helpful

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/84229-the-fluid-change/?fromsearch=1

Wonder what sexy hunk did that thread ;)

Edited by JETURBO

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 23d

Got a bit of a deal going with the G/W dealer but means we have to buy at least 40ltrs at a time to qualify

Seen prices as cheap as $165 for 20ltrs and up to $250 so its all dependant where u go