Xr6 Turbo - Track Car ? Worth It ?

pelican

• Pelican
  • Member For: 18y 8m 4d

Hi guys,

Been a few years since I've been here, and, not sure if this has been talked about in any way.....

I'm contemplating buying a cheapy old BA-BF turbo, and, setting it up as a track/race car....... I LOVED having my car, and, think that it's potential on atrack, such as Qld Raceway would be fantastic, As long as I could manage :

1. Cooling

2. Transmission

3. Brakes & Suspension....

Initially would work on making the car lighter, by stripping out the interior, spare wheel etc.....

Any thoughts about this ?? Not worth the hassle etc ??? I don't need or want a 9 second car, I just want to be able to drive it like a scalded cat on a track....

Cheers & Thanks....

Scott

• Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 9d

Not worth the hassle. These cars are heavy, brake like crap, turn like crap, and fall to pieces.

A neat 32gtr or even an S13/14.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 2m 11d

Whatever floats your boat I reckon. If you want to use a xr6t do it, if you want faster and better handling then probably a japa.

• Pelican

Thanks guys for the feedback.....

I know it's a heavyish car, but there is no substitute for a 4.0L turbo..... They are not a crap car... they DO turn well, and with proper suspension & brakes it would be a great car on a track.......and possibly a Targa Rally or two.... Plus there are quite a few XR6T's at the damaged car auctions.... which would be perfect......

I like a R32 Skyline, being a small and light car, but the it's a much smaller engine..... this was my first thought for a car.....

Decisions decisions......

Guest XR09
  • Guests

For a circut car weight is everything.

There was a 500rwkw BF on this that could not crack the 1 minute mark on the clubman track at QR. @ lakeside they are even worse. Worse again at the Hill climb @ Mnt Cotton.

In saying that they are really fun to drive. But the more power you are putting out the worse they handle. If you can get the power to the ground then it just makes the front push all over the place.

If your out there by yourself it's great fun. If you are running sprints it's really frustrating to be constantly passed by a dick in an Rex or worse a stock MX5.

If you move out of street class then you will be lapped in about four of the six laps. And if you strip it right down your out of street class.

Keeping it cool and consistent in power output is not easy either. And it might pay to have shares in Bridgestone or Yoko.

But if you have the $$$ anything can be made to go fast.

Dunno but if I had the folding to play and wanted to go a bigger car I would be looking at the VL or HQ, AU and at least have a one class situation where it's more of an even playing field, competitive and a bucket load of fun.

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 4d

Evo or wrx would be better.

Weight of the Ford is a real killer for durability.

My fords will smash my STis in a straight line, plus my sons old evo, but around the track is different.

Smaller cars are a lot more fun, and awd grip makes a huge difference.

Cheaper evo with e85 is a good easy option, and they are proven on the track.

Brian

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 5m 7d

I say early MX5, dirt cheap and sweet FA to fit a 13B turbo. one of the best handling cars ever to come out from a factory. I say can be done for 10grand. and plenty for sale between $6000 to $8000.

• Pelican

OK, Thanks guys... so it would seem the concensus is NO.....

Get a small / light JAP car and flick it around..... So it looks like a 32GTR is the go then......

My idea was mainly for a track day, where I'm just out having a blast...... and maybe Targa Tasmania.....

I've done the full on motorsport with Karting overseas, and it was a money pit.... something I don't want this time..... You've gotta be able to have FUN......

Thank you all.... You've helped me decide.....

Cheers

Scott

PS - I Still want a XR6T again..... came VERY close to getting a G6eT last year.....